Advanced Search

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing credit cards...

Thanks

Default Storing credit cards...

Well, I need to set up this eCommerce system for my cousin.

What's a secure way of storing credit card transactions? Reversible Encryption? Remote Printing? Or should I just tell him to ring the customer and ask for the details?
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

If he does enough business, and makes enough money... http://merchantwarehouse.com/credit_...ard+processing

Something like that could be worth it?

Thanks

I would recommend using a payment gateway such as Paypal, 2Checkout, etc. When messing with Credit Cards and money handling it is always better to use an outside source (in this case, a payment gateway) for it as compared to using a database and a flemsy (spelling?) server-side script.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

If they get the data, then they could decrypt it as by that point they would likely have your source code too. I say just make the system secure in the first place.
    The only way that encryption like that would work is if you had a key to it that only he knew. If you had a password that generated a way to decrypt it, that would be helpful.
    But, still, you need to store the data securely. A database is a good idea, I think, as long as it is secure.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Hmm... How would I do a key encryption?
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

I really have no idea.

Well, I do, but nothing that will directly help you.

1. Code it yourself.
    2. Look on PHP.net, hoping for some extension that allows this. I'm not currently aware of any functions like that, though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

1. Code it yourself.
    Duh.

Just point me where to start

Thanks

Go through each character and base it on the password.
    take the md5 of the password, add the ordinal value of the characters to the md5 hash, repeating this every 32 characters. Well, then again, that's just a credit card, so no need to repeat it.
    To decrypt, just do the inverse.
    Or something else. Just be creative, be sure it works every time, and make sure there's no way to fake it.
    It still wouldn't be entirely secure, but it would be helpful.

EDIT:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

$pass 
    'test';
    $num '1234123412341234';

function 
    encrypt($num,$pass) {

$hash substr(md5(md5($pass)),0,16);
        for(
    $n=0;$n<16;$n++) {

$o $num[$n]+ord($hash[$n]);

$out[$n] = $o&#37;10; //PHP PARSER ERROR: #37; should be %.

}
        return 
    implode('',$out);
    }
    function 
    decrypt($num,$pass) {

$hash substr(md5(md5($pass)),0,16);
        for(
    $n=0;$n<16;$n++) {

$o $num[$n]-ord($hash[$n]);

$out[$n] = ($o%10)+10;
        }
        return 
    implode('',$out);
    }

echo 
    $num."\n";
    echo 
    encrypt($num,$pass)."\n";
    echo 
    decrypt(encrypt($num,$pass),$pass);

?>
    Tested, and that works.
    Output:
    Last edited by djr33; 07-27-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

For very sensitive details (credit card numbers, security codes), just don't store them at all. Require that the user re-enters them for each new transaction. Most companies do this nowadays; it also provides some protection for the user if the account is compromised.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Sure. But you need to store them the first time, so you can actually bill the account. What would you suggest for that?