Advanced Search

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Drive Limit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I think that is absolutely insane. You don't need a separate partition for games, for pictures, for downloads and for ISOs, etc etc etc.
    Partitions are not just folders to play with.
    If you want to protect your data from windows corrupting its partition, find. Then you have C:/ and D:/. Even if you do find it necessary to have several partitions so that different types of data are separate in case one partition dies, you could have... what? 5 partitions?
    Certainly not 26.

There are very valid reasons for several, as stated above, not to mention having several operating systems. But... way too much as is.

If you are this concerned with protecting your data (and that isn't a bad thing), then just make backups.
    Well... some people think that several partitions means they are organised, and it also improves system performance.
    I have 2 hard disks, with 4 parititions. One has Windows Server 2003, one has my XP, one has my data and the other one is for my backups. If I move my page/swap file to the Recovery partition, my Windows is a tad bit more responsive.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

... you could have... what? 5 partitions?
    Certainly not 26.

Ok i have 2X 500GB harddrives. With large partitions i easily get to windows maximum amount of files and folders before stuff starts to get corrupt. I think its a limitation of fat. And NTFS has a max table of contents size of 1GB for every 10GB in the partion and I deal with just as many small files as I do large ones.
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks

tech_support I agree entirely. But that is 4 partitions, under 1/6th of having 26 of them.

lain, I hope you're using FAT32, not FAT. Anyway, it sounds like it's time to invest in an external harddrive to back up some of your older files.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

...FAT32, not FAT...
    i am using fat32. its still essentailly fat tho.

Thanks

FAT is a 32GB max per partition, and a lower limit on filesize, I believe.
    Anyway, unrelated.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

fat32 has a limit of 2gb per file but somehow i get no problem with these 10gb+ files

Thanks

4gb per file, and there is no limit for multiple files, just individual files. 8GB of images is fine; 4.5gb of a single file is not. Etc.

Thanks

it allows me to write these dual layer disc's to the drive just fine. :P

Thanks

Storing the disc images from them? Then you're not using FAT32. It's NTFS...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

try hooking up the drives. I think it letters:
    A:, B:, C:, D:... X:, Y:, Z:, AA:, AB:... AY:, AZ, BA, BB, BC, BD...
    I think.
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500