Advanced Search

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Drive Limit?

Thanks

I don't know the specifics of the situation, but it seems that having that many drives is just insane, especially when they are only partitions. What possible reason do you have for needing so many partitions? (Perhaps it is valid; I'm not saying it isn't, but I just can't think of one myself.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I don't know the specifics of the situation, but it seems that having that many drives is just insane, especially when they are only partitions. What possible reason do you have for needing so many partitions? (Perhaps it is valid; I'm not saying it isn't, but I just can't think of one myself.)
    since after you get sooooooo many files and folders on a single partition (i think around 50,000) windows runs checkdisk every boot on that partition it was doing it with my E: drive untill i moved some of the wallpapers on it to another drive
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks

That still doesn't answer the question. Then have one junk drive, and turn off checkdisk for that drive.
    Or keep these on an external drive, again solving your issue.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

That still doesn't answer the question. Then have one junk drive, and turn off checkdisk for that drive.
    Or keep these on an external drive, again solving your issue.
    i put things on different partitions for easy sorting and when i install windows i ALWAYS format my drive im putting it on

c: nothing really but its only 3 gigs has boot files
    D: contains the os and 4 gigs of virtual memory 7 gigs
    E: my 20 gigs+ of wallpapers/screensavers
    F: program files
    G: mymusic
    H: Emulators+rom/iso backups of my games
    I: Dvdrw drive
    J: incoming/unsorted/downloads
    k: cdrom drive Yuri's revenge never leaves this drive
    L: my dvd isos (i accually need this i have broken many dvd's)
    M: unsorted
    N: an xbox360 dvd drive (360 died)
    O: unsorted
    P: more game backups
    Q: empty as of now
    R: more music
    S: this drive WAS P: but i made more partitions its used for os backup and my other windows os
    T: and on is blank as of now

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Partitioning is a good idea. It protects data against dangerous crashes, at least somewhat -- although I've had Windows take a neighbouring partition down with it as well.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    Partitioning is a good idea. It protects data against dangerous crashes, at least somewhat -- although I've had Windows take a neighbouring partition down with it as well.
    i know thats why i do this stuff but i had so much space i wanted to make more partitions and went a little crazy

Thanks

So when you're restoring the system (from a crash, virus etc.) you don't lose all your data.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    So when you're restoring the system (from a crash, virus etc.) you don't lose all your data.

yes and i do this almost on a weekly basis BUT I CANT GO WITHOUT MY CNC FIX

Thanks

I think that is absolutely insane. You don't need a separate partition for games, for pictures, for downloads and for ISOs, etc etc etc.
    Partitions are not just folders to play with.
    If you want to protect your data from windows corrupting its partition, find. Then you have C:/ and D:/. Even if you do find it necessary to have several partitions so that different types of data are separate in case one partition dies, you could have... what? 5 partitions?
    Certainly not 26.

There are very valid reasons for several, as stated above, not to mention having several operating systems. But... way too much as is.

If you are this concerned with protecting your data (and that isn't a bad thing), then just make backups.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If you want to protect your data from windows corrupting its partition, find. Then you have C:/ and D:/. Even if you do find it necessary to have several partitions so that different types of data are separate in case one partition dies, you could have... what? 5 partitions?
    Certainly not 26.
    Why not 26? There's nothing wrong with having 26 or more partitions.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!