Advanced Search

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Windows Drive Limit?

Thanks

no. only single letters are allowed for some dumb reason

but i did find out if you type "\" windows goes to the system drive (specified in registry) so i got \mnt\hda0 and so on, its mildly cool
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks

Heres any wasy way to fix your problem. Wait for one of your hard drives to fail. That will clear up quite a few of the letters being used for your partitions. But there is the question, why not just keep it all in one spot without that many partitions? It will probably be faster, take less time, and you won't have to worry about needing more letters for drives. JF
    -JF

Thanks

all but 6 partitions are on 1 drive

i like organization
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks

Write back when the drive fails that has the other 20. Organization is good, they made these cool things called folders for that.
    -JF

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    I think that is absolutely insane. You don't need a separate partition for games, for pictures, for downloads and for ISOs, etc etc etc.
    Partitions are not just folders to play with.
    If you want to protect your data from windows corrupting its partition, find. Then you have C:/ and D:/. Even if you do find it necessary to have several partitions so that different types of data are separate in case one partition dies, you could have... what? 5 partitions?
    Certainly not 26.

There are very valid reasons for several, as stated above, not to mention having several operating systems. But... way too much as is.

If you are this concerned with protecting your data (and that isn't a bad thing), then just make backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Write back when the drive fails that has the other 20. Organization is good, they made these cool things called folders for that.
    Shows what you guys know. Folders are NOT the same as partitions. Here’s just a small sample of some of the advantages that partitions have over folders:

1. Wth separate partitions, you can waste less space (it does add up), by using different cluster sizes. For example, use large clusters on a partition with large video files, and small clusters on a partition with small pictures.
    2. If you had ~10GB of photos and wanted to back them up, would you rather back up a 10GB partition of just photos or a 300GB drive of photos, videos, MP3s, games, OS, and so on? Block-level drive imaging is often preferable to file- or folder-level backups for numerous reasons.
    3. Partitions also drastically reduce fragmentation. If you organize things in the same folder, you have all of the files, big and small, sharing the same drive, and leaving gaps and such, thus requiring constant de-fragmentation of the entire drive. With partitions, you can de-fragment smaller amounts of data (eg a 5GB temp drive where the files change frequently) and avoid defragmenting data that changes infrequently (eg videos) at all.

Quote Originally Posted by techno_race View Post
    try hooking up the drives. I think it letters:
    A:, B:, C:, D:... X:, Y:, Z:, AA:, AB:... AY:, AZ, BA, BB, BC, BD...
    I think.
    If only; or named drives: OS:\, Games:\, Photos:\…; or at least numeric drives: 1:\, 2:\, 3:\…

--
    Bob Bobson

Thanks

That sounds reasonable. But how many partitions would you actually suggest? Having more than the letters of the alphabet (26) seems excessive even if you are being extra-organized. For one thing, they don't mind hard drives big enough for that to really matter, at least in my opinion.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum