Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Drive Limit?

Thanks

Default Windows Drive Limit?

I recently worked my way to drive Z: in my windows OS and I was wondering...

Is there anyway to keep going because i need to install 4 more drives.

Don't even say get linux. I already have it too.
    The only person I think is cool is -==INSERT YOUR NAME HERE==-

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't think so. You can disable and re-enable drives in the device manager as you need to, I guess.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 3,157 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's illegal in some states:

DUW

'Driving Under Windoze'
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

im practicly constantly using all the drives now i guess they will be just linux drives then

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm a little curious as to what you are doing that requires so many drive letters. Do you actually have that many physical drives? Or, are you using virtual drives and/or partitions? If the latter, there may be another way to organize your data.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

yes 2 500 gig harddrives partitioned out to quite a few drives (mostly fat and ext partions) and now i got this 160gig

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Also, you can mount drives:

This article describes how to create a mounted drive by using Disk Management in Microsoft Windows XP and in Microsoft Windows Server 2003.

A mounted drive is a drive that is mapped to an empty folder on a volume that uses the NTFS file system. Mounted drives function as any other drives, but they are assigned drive paths instead of drive letters. When you view a mounted drive in Windows Explorer, it appears as a drive icon in the path in which it is mounted. Because mounted drives are not subject to the 26-drive-letter limit for local drives and mapped network connections, use mounted drives when you want to gain access to more than 26 drives on your computer. For example, if you have a CD-ROM drive with the drive letter E, and an NTFS volume with the drive letter F, mount the CD-ROM drive as F:\CD-ROM. You can then free the drive letter E, and gain access to your CD-ROM drive directly by using F:\CD-ROM.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889
    - John

Thanks

He may have the same issue as me... My Dual Tuner DVR's hard drive crapped out twice, so I finally had to get one of the new Dual tuner's with the dvi out instead of the HDMI. My TV is HDMI only, so I had to get a cord to convert it. I just happened to be at BigLots and found the cord I needed. It wasn't the nice 12 foot HDMI cable I had previously, it was 6 foot . I should have known better than to buy it.

Anyways, to the point... I had to place the cable box lower on the rack, the rack is behind the TV. I had to use about 20 Xbox game boxes to elevate the cable box from the lower rack to try and make the cable box visible. He could have experienced this same problem, and if he didn't have all the old games, maybe he chose to use hard drives to elevate his cable box? Granted, getting to Z is a lot of hard drives. In addition I don't believe it's safe to have so many internal hard drives hooked up below your cable box. There could be some overheating issues.

If this is why you need so many drives, I would recommend doing what I'm doing. Just buy a HDMI to DVI cap and use your old cord.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    Also, you can mount drives:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889
    problem i got 1 ntfs partition

Thanks

Never mind i figured it out.
    This helps alot.