Thread: Server running from OSX

Thanks

Default Server running from OSX

I just posting to say this is pretty cool.

I'm running a server from my G5 tower now.

Disabling the default personal file sharing (http) and ftp access through the system properties is the first step, to avoid conflicts.

Then install MAMP from www.mamp.info -- easy, just install and it's done. Comes with working PHP, apache, etc. I haven't tried MySQL yet, though. But it's there and appears to be working. PHP is certainly working, with some scripts that didn't work on other computers, even.

For FTP, use PureFTPd for OSX from here: http://jeanmatthieu.free.fr/pureftpd/
    It's also easy to setup. Then create an account for the FTP for your site and set the root for that to the htdocs folder within MAMP in the applications folder (as per the default configuration of MAMP).

(One of the FTP accounts I setup works great; the other works, but isn't allowing modifcation of the directory, including upload. It's a permissions issue, that I'm going to look into soon.)

And that's it.

I also had to forward ports 80 (http) and 21 (ftp) to my computer, since I have several computers attached to the same router. This is easy enough with my linksys router, though.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Nice, congrats. I've been messing around with the Mac X Server (with OSX) and it's pretty cool as well.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

I assume that's the one that comes with OSX by default. It's ok, but fairly limited... without PHP, etc.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Actually; when we purchased it a few years ago, it came with PHP, a built in mail server, and VNC service (as well as some other items that I can't remember off the top of my head). I'd rather the G5, but this is what I have access to currently.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Thanks

Oh, you mean a Mac actually designed as a server. I thought you were referring to the built in software.
    That's cool.

Thanks

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

that's the one right there.

Thanks

//Looking at cost....
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Haha. I love looking at that stuff on the apple store's site.
    That might be the worst yet.... $23,000 for 32GB of RAM. Hilarious.