Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making it look good in all browsers and resolution?

Thanks

Default Making it look good in all browsers and resolution?

I'm basically new at this, although I read a pretty good tutorial, and I did stay at a holiday inn express lastnight...

I'm using frontpage to create my site. My best friend couldn't see it, as it created horizontal scrollbars, which I really don't want.

Is there a setting or a way to have it fit in a browser or resolution?

I'm guessing there's a script that pulls their info and then says how to display... but hoping there's a much more simple fix?

Thank you for the time,

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks

Cool thank you... Appreciate it!

Thanks

I read the entire tutorial and it was usefull info, however it didn't seem to have much in reference to screen sizes. Just one small paragraph telling me to do what I want to do

My main concern is to avoid the horizontal scroller. I know many people don't have a 22" widescreen, and even some friends use annoying low resolutions. There isn't some universal fit to resolution command for a CSS or HTML? Even a script would prolly do it.

Thank you!

Thanks

I'm using frontpage to create my site.
    Frontpage? Don't use it! Use dreamweaver or at least somthing better.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 3,190 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Fitton View Post
    Frontpage? Don't use it! Use dreamweaver or at least somthing better.
    Oddly enough, what you use doesn't matter nearly so much as how you use it, and how well you know the principals involved in web design.

Getting back on topic, one need not worry about adjusting to different screen/window sizes and resolutions. Design your page so that it can adjust itself. To do this, set the size of large items as a percentage of the screen. Allow text and other small items to wrap and flow into the space available. For more information and/or examples, look for fluid/flexible designs, templates, and tutorials.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 07-12-2007 at 06:40 PM.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thank you... I will do some searches for fluid/flexible designs.

I may have to recreate what I have because I used a ton of tables for placement which is likely my problem. I'm basically using FP as the placement part and manually editing the code as much as possible.

I essentially want to create my own template using CSS more or less so all of the pages are essentially uniform with the same menu bar. I think I have a grasp of using a % or pix distances from margins, or at least understand that it works... I just can't seem to grasp how to use that to form the entire page.

www.usejeff.com is the site if you want to peek at it.

I'll just keep looking for tutorials and cramming on info. The key things to look for are the most beneficial, like the fluid/flexible. I really appreciate the direction. Hopefully in time I'll be able to answer questions here instead of ask

Thanks!

P.S. The site is in it's infancy, so please belly laugh and roll around on the floor to get it out of your system before you comment

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oddly enough, what you use doesn't matter nearly so much as how you use it
    Unfortunately, WYSIWYG is "a bad way to use" editors I hear DreamWeaver has some fairly decent editing capabilities as well as its WYSIWYG features, and thus isn't completely useless (although still a waste of money [or bandwidth ] in my opinion). As a general rule, stay well away from anything resembling a WYSIWYG editor. If you're really good, you may be able, by spending twice as much time fixing the code it produces, be able to write as good a site as you would have done using a plain text editor
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I think I figured it out... Instead of all CSS for placing things, I made tables and used %'s for width and pixels for height.

I'm already doing a bunch of manual editing of the code so far, and for all intensive purposes I started learning 5 days ago. I had a simplistic background from years ago from front page.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sliight View Post
    I think I figured it out... Instead of all CSS for placing things, I made tables and used %'s for width and pixels for height.
    That's a step backwards, really. There's little, if any need, to use table-based layouts these days. If I get time, I'll try to show how your site (or at least the home page) could be implemented using only semantic markup and CSS.
    Mike