Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: browser testing

Thanks

Default browser testing

what are your secrets to browser testing? with so many different browsers and new versions being released all the time, how do you stay on top of testing over so many different platforms? i have firefox, opera and ie6 - i won't install ie7 - and i test on the current versions, but its a lot to keep up with even with three browsers and no matter what i can't be sure (being anti-ie7). so how do you mange testing your sites looks and functionality. i have heard about subscription services that will give screenshots of your site over all the browsers... but is that really a viable option? how do you manage the browser chaos?

Thanks

how do you manage the browser chaos?
    Try using Multiple Internet Explorers, downloading older versions of Firefox, asking people to test your website etc. Not everybody has every browser, so it's best that you leave it on as a trial, ask people to test it, put it on the net and see how it goes.

i have heard about subscription services that will give screenshots of your site over all the browsers... but is that really a viable option?
    No. Beta testing is.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Screen shot services aren't too helpful, they cannot give an accurate idea of anything dynamic on the page. A service like Browser Pool is good. It lets you run just about any browser on just about any OS as a vm right on your desktop.

But, coding to standards and using object testing for javascript branching is a good approach. Once you do that and test out OK in a few different browsers (I recommend IE 6 & 7, Opera, FF, and the new Safari), you are pretty much good to go. You can, if it is important to you, include some legacy browsers. It helps, to have a base of experience with older browsers, but this comes only from doing and is not essential.

Asking other people to 'test' is limited by those other people's diligence and their ability to accurately report their findings.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Anti-IE7? Why?

Beta-testing is always a good idea, but generally speaking, if you stick to the standards the only browser you have to worry about is IE.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Is it possible to have IE 6 on the same computer as I 7?

Guess I'll try and download it from Cnet and see if it installs I just snagged the extra browsers you listed, thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sliight View Post
    Is it possible to have IE 6 on the same computer as I 7?

Guess I'll try and download it from Cnet and see if it installs I just snagged the extra browsers you listed, thank you
    Not exactly. You can get earlier IE's at:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

that will. However, all of the previous versions think that they are the installed version for the computer as far as conditional comments go. And, the IE 6 that I got there didn't support filters, this may or may not have been fixed since then. Even so, it is very useful. For very important testing, I maintain a real copy of IE 6 on a separate machine.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

So the answer is there is no good solution but to accept the chaos and install, install and refresh, refresh. Oh, and be a careful coder.

I am not really anti-ie7. I just didn't want to loose my ie6 for testing. but I'll try that multiple ie install technique. I have read a little about it, which was really why i posted this question. I couldn't imagine that screen-shot services are helpful, but it appears to be the only attempt at streamlining testing. I just thought, there must be a better way and somehow I have remained oblivious.

Its funny that web-developers have so many killer tools, techniques, languages but browser testing remains relatively cave-man.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks to standards, browser testing is nearly obsolete. It's only the rebellious ones one has to worry about. If you test in Konqueror/Safari/Opera and IE, you're pretty much set. Opera's Presto, Konqueror's KHTML, and Safari's modified version of KHTML, WebKit, are the most standards-compliant engines in common use today. As a general rule, anything that will work in one of Konqueror, Safari, and Opera will work in any Mozilla-based browser and all of the others in that trio, as well as any other standards-based browser. That's the joy of standards. There is the odd exception, but nothing much to worry about -- the chances of running into one are small.

It's generally worth testing in IE7, IE6, and IE5.5, though, because they all still have a significant user base and probably will have for a while (IE5.5 because it's the latest version available for Mac, IE6 because it's the latest version available for pre-XPSP2 Windows) and differ fairly significantly. IE5 only matters if you actually want to support it, of course: personally I consider it too broken to even bother with.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    You can get earlier IE's at:

http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

that will. However, all of the previous versions think that they are the installed version for the computer as far as conditional comments go.
    I seem to recall that this could be fixed with a minor registry edit, though I don't remember the details: I had a registry patch at one time, which I've since deleted (or rather, didn't transfer onto my new hard disk).

And, the IE 6 that I got there didn't support filters, this may or may not have been fixed since then.
    I think copying a particular DLL will fix that, too. You can probably find the relevant information on the Web. It's where I did.
    Mike

Thanks

I think I'll just uninstall IE7 on my laptop, and throw IE6 on it... less tweaking, and I don't use laptop much anymore.

Thanks!