Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Menu System - Adding GSB IFRAME nightmare

Thanks

Default Menu System - Adding GSB IFRAME nightmare

Guys,

Firstly, yes this is my first post, I have spent pretty much the last available 30 hours of my life researching or trying to get an answer, so please don't flame me.

Secondly, please view the attached files, its a flash version of how I want my menu system to work. and the swi version for anyone who can fix the issue

Basically this is my live cv, I have 6 pages, each having seperate details and information which I need to populate from an external file. (preferably html)

the movie its self is made of 6 containers, each with an action to come to the top when clicked.

What i need is each container to have a GSB iframe as well, which is called to the top, or sunk again depending on what the user is looking at.

The GSB iframe is to fit the area between the white dashes on each card.

I believe i will then need to make 6 seperate HTML pages with the info for each iframe.

I have been trying to get this working for the last 30 hours as mentioned (I even got one to work, but it was always visible, i deleted the swi in anger doh!!), and this is the only way I can do the project (i want to use html pages so i dont have to keep editing the flash everytime i have an update of work etc)

Can some (or prey to god GSB) please give there comments.

Is what I am asking even possible, I know I might not make sense, but I have been trying this for the last 14 straight and need a break.

All comments are gratefully received.

Please don't flame me or tell me to search (i help ppl a hell of alot on other forums such as xbox-scene etc) I just want your thoughts and maybe even solutions

Cheers

Mikeymike

Thanks

Hey Mikeymike...

What you want to do is certainly possible. I've done it many times. The "accordian" menu is one of the biggest requests that I get when making flash-based websites (along with the "carousel").

The way you're going about it might be a bit flawed. If I were you, I would look into XML. XML is by far the easiest way you can maintain a flash-based dynamic website.

If you search this forum (the flash section), I've posted many examples of XML. If you need more help, feel free to post back here.

Thanks

Cheers Medy,

I actually had an indepth conversation with GSB last night (I am in the uk, didn't finish speaking to him to about 6am!!)

He should me this little beauty he made:
    http://www.gypsytrader.com/SWiSHmax/stageServices/scaleable/index.php?movie=.%2Fgregs.swf&debug=2#9258732486932566975
    The man has more coding talent in his little finger, than I do in my entire body...

Basically I am a designer, i usually hire a coder for web dev, but as this is a personal project, there is no budget hence no coder!!

I have tried looking for xml info, and it seems it could be what I need, I just can't find an idiot proof sample.

Have you looked at the menu system, basically when you click a card I want the dynamic content loading into it.

Is it possible to put the xml scroller inside a container (as I have a container for each card, with a script that brings it to the top when click, so I would want the content for the corresponding page bringing to the top as well)

Cheers in advance I really need this fixing asap, its driving me insane!!

mikeymike
    Last edited by mikeymike; 07-06-2007 at 12:28 PM.

Thanks

It's possible to all of that with XML.

Lee Brimelow has some good tutorials at gotoandlearn.com/download.php.

You'll have to create a new XML object for each of your containers. Then, add a scroler to the container MC.

OR

You could just have one container and have the content switch out when you click for the next section.

Thanks

Medyman,

Cheers for the reply, only just back from camping (fell in a bloody lake, anyone want a wet n70???)

Anyway, I have spent the last hour trying to find a 'simple' example of xml to swishmax. I don't require a scoller on the page as the information is made to fit the box (card), if you could do me a favour and point me to an example which is basically a text box that pulls from an xml file, i would greatly appreciate it, as I have today and today only to get the site finished...

Right I am going to put cream on my face (tried lighting a BBQ rather drunkenly with liquid meths!!))

Cheers Medy and anyone who can help!!

Thanks

Right... i guessed I couldn't ask for help till I tried it myself...

7 hours and i came up with this...

mikeymikes shocking attempt @ xml into flash

Right I managed to get the xml file into flash and to display the right xml file when the container is clicked. (I used an xml flash menu link tut can't remember who made it, but thanks!!)

basically I need my xml file to contain 3 things (tags)...

Standard text (so I can type information about my boring self)
    Pictures (No bigger than 200 x 200)
    Hyperlinks (urm yeah hyperrrrrr links)

Now the example I use, already includes hyperlinks (again thanks to the tut!!) but I can't seem to add any plain non linked text, and as for pictures, I am stuffed!!

I know the XML file has to define what is a picture etc and that the script in Swishmax has to determine what is a picture from the tags in the XML file, but I can't code...

If anyone (MEDYMAN PRETTY PLEASE!!) can look at the swi files and the two xml files attached, maybe setup one xml file to include no link text and maybe a picture, I can complete the site...

And... I will write an idiot proof guide to xml with pictures/links/text (i am a document writer for trade)...

I haven't found an xml to flash that is specific for text, hyperlinks and pictures thats all...

Cheers

Mikey (I am going to design the site completely from html if i don't get an answer in 24 hours lol!!!) Mike

Thanks

Well, I've helped a lot of people with XML-related issues. If you did a search, I'm sure you could find some useful materials.

In any case, I've put together this quick little demo.

The example is here.
    The .xml file is here.
    The .fla is here.

In the example, the image and the text in the upper right are brought in via XML.

I didn't get much time to comment out the .fla. If you (or anyone else viewing this in the future) have any questions, please feel free to post back.

Thanks

Hey...just saw your previous post. I didn't notice that before I posted the above.

Have a look and let me know if it helps you at all.

If not, I'll have a look at your files and see if I can help. I don't use swishmax though...not sure if i can open then in flash 8 or not but i'll try.

Thanks

Hi Medyman,

Cheers for posting back...

I have search countless times, and maybe i am being a fool, but can't find anything thats says 'how to setup and use xml with swishmax' and nothing on 'pictures, text and hyperlinks via xml within swishmax'

Do you use swishmax medyman??

Is there any chance you could look at my .swi

I presume what ever details i use in my script in swish, the tags have to relate to the XML file, thats where I am getting stuck!

Cheers

Mikeymike

Thanks

Medyman....

Damn we are out of sync, if you could try with and edit myfiles, I have a shiny gold star for you!!

I would really appreciate it, as my site is now behind schedule!

Cheers