Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 + 1 will output 11 and not 2...

Thanks

Default 1 + 1 will output 11 and not 2...

Hello, got a problem with addition, I have a function that will need a number. Like:
    my_function(numb)

and now I want to get the next number (numb + 1) but It will output as 11 instead of 1 + 1 = 2..
    I tried to use this:
    var next = numb + 1..

and this:
    var next = 0;
    next = numb + 1;

and this:
    var one = 1;
    var next numb + one;

but it will give me the same result all the time, the previous (-1) works great but not the +1..

Thanks

Try numb++, usually that works.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

thanks it worked.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The + operator in Javascript is overloaded: it performs two quite distinct functions. It performs arithmetical addition on numbers, but concatenation on strings. The latter always takes precedence over the first, so if a string is involved on either side of the operator, concatenation will occur. That is to say:
    Code:
    1 + 1 == 2;
    1 + "1" == "11";
    "1" + 1 == "11";
    If you're not sure whether you're dealing with a number or a string, be safe and convert it. There are several methods of doing this:
    Code:
    new Number(n);
    parseFloat(n, 10);
    parseInt(n, 10);
    n - 0;
    -n;
    +n;
    n * 1;
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Isn't the easiest way, then to do
    a + 1*b; ?
    (Assuming you know that a is a constant, or that a is declared literally as an integer, say 3 + 1*b; )

Or, you could just subtract it's opposite:

a-(-b);

That's probably the easiest, in fact. This would, since it's a mathematical operation without a string-alternative, convert both a and b, I'd assume, so it's a very efficient way to do all of this at once.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Are the (a+b*1) or (a- -b) shorthands executed faster than the parse functions?

Thanks

My guess would be that any simple math function would be faster than any more complex function.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, +"3" performed an average of 0.0053ms faster than parseInt("3", 10) over 100,000 iterations in SpiderMonkey.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I would just do this:

var next=numb-0+1;

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Personally, I prefer the form:
    Code:
    var next = +numb + 1;
    However, be aware that parse(Int|Float) don't do quite the same things as the simple operator trickery; they will ignore trailing characters, for a start. +"3j" is NaN, but parseInt("3j") is 3.