Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problem displaying "Description" in Pausing RSS Scroller w/ CDATA tags

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Problem displaying "Description" in Pausing RSS Scroller w/ CDATA tags

    1) Script Title: Pausing RSS Scroller

    2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...ller/index.htm

    3) Describe problem:

    I'm using a little program called RSS Builder to generate the XML file for my RSS feed. It is very basic, I just need something so a user can update our website with the day's cancellations and scheduling changes.

    However, the program uses CDATA tags in the Description element of the XML it generates, and it appears that RSS Pause Scroller doesn't like those -- it shows the Title and Date/Time info, but nothing from the Description field. I verified that I have "data+description" selected in the script. I confirmed that all my script settings are correct by successfully displaying the sample CNN/Slashdot sample scripts.

    Am I missing something terribly simple here? If I manually edit the XML and remove the CDATA tag, the feed loads perfectly, scrolls, etc.

    I'm very new to RSS feeds and DHTML in general, but I've done a few searches and haven't found anything so far. After fixing a few syntax errors it seems to be pretty clean when I run it through an RSS validator.

    Here is the XML I'm using...

    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <rss version="2.0">
      <!--FTPSite dfpd website-->
      <channel>
        <generator>RSS Builder by B!Soft</generator>
        <title>Park District - Rainouts &amp; Cancellations</title>
        <link>http://www.zzz.org/index.html</link>
        <description>Scheduling, rainout and cancellation notes for Park District sports leagues, activities, and classes. For more information call 847-2555.
    </description>
        <language>en-us</language>
        <managingEditor>jimk@zzz.org</managingEditor>
        <webMaster>jpm@zzz.org</webMaster>
        <item>
          <title>Third Topic</title>
          <pubDate>Mon, 7 May 2007 13:58:20 -0500</pubDate>
          <description><![CDATA[Description for third topic....]]></description>
          <link>http://www.zzz.org/index.html</link>
          <author>jpm@zzz.org</author>
        </item>
        <item>
          <title>Second topic</title>
          <pubDate>Mon, 7 May 2007 13:56:27 -0500</pubDate>
          <description><![CDATA[This is the second topic description]]>
    </description>
          <link>http://www.zzz.org/index.html</link>
          <author>jpm@zzz.org</author>
          <comments>http://www.zzz.org/index.html</comments>
          <category>None</category>
        </item>
      </channel>
    </rss>
    If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,893
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 966 Times in 954 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Hmmm this could be a LastRSS problem (in which you may need to ask the author), but just to make sure, can you post a link to the problem example on your site?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Sure... this is just a demo page, I left the CNN sample feed in place to be sure it's reading the feeds. I did do the chmod on the cache directory to 777. Also, the feed does work with other RSS readers, I have it on my google homepage and all the text comes over properly.

    http://www.dfpd.org/demo.htm

    (Please don't give me grief over the design of the page, it wasn't my doing.)

    The XML file is at http://www.dfpd.org/sportsinfo.xml

    I did try a few searches for "lastrss" and "cdata" and didn't find anything too helpful...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    hi, search for:
    Code:
        // ------------------------------------------------------------------- 
        // Public properties 
        // ------------------------------------------------------------------- 
        var $default_cp = 'UTF-8'; 
        var $CDATA = 'content'; 
        var $cp = ''; 
        var $items_limit = 3; 
        var $stripHTML = False; 
        var $date_format = ''; 
    
        // ------------------------------------
    in lastrss.php and replace
    Code:
    var $CDATA = 'nochange';
    with
    Code:
    var $CDATA = 'content';
    this worked for me

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Ah, that certainly shows promise. Woodie, I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning and see how it does -- seems like you're on the right track.

    When I saw the line in lastrss.php that says "don't edit below here" I decided to take their advice!

    I'll report back with an update...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Awesome, that did the trick.

    Hopefully this helps someone else down the road.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Feakin' awesome... I posted this same issue as a reply to someone elses problem. This also fixed my issue, well... half of it. TY.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •