Thread: Custom Cursors

Thanks

Question Custom Cursors

I have added a custom cursor to my web page, and it works perfectly over the whole page except when i move my cursor over a button or link where it changes to the standard "hand" cursor.
    The code is as follows: <body style="cursor: url('cursors/printer.ani')">
    I would like it to stay as the custom cursor throughout the page, over buttons & links. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chanty View Post
    I have added a custom cursor to my web page, and it works perfectly over the whole page except when i move my cursor over a button or link where it changes to the standard "hand" cursor.
    The code is as follows: <body style="cursor: url('cursors/printer.ani')">
    The cursor property requires a built-in cursor type to follow a custom cursor. Not all browsers support custom cursors, so the built-in type should be able to act as an adequate substitute.

I would like it to stay as the custom cursor throughout the page, over buttons & links. Is there a way to do this?
    There is a way to try, but such a thing isn't a very good idea in usual circumstances. Care to explain why you want this behaviour?
    Mike

Thanks

The only point of this would be to confuse the user, since it would hide the fact that it is a link or another item of content.

Better, you could change it to a custom 'hand' that would fit your design if needed, but not change the usability of the page.

Remember, users coming to your page know nothing about your page nor its intended functionality, and will only know (in some cases very limits amounts of) how they have seen other pages act. As such, using standards is a good idea. To the average user, no hand might mean no links.... so they'd just go to a site that has those fun link things.... 'cause they like 'em.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

umm...
    <a href="bla">bla<sup>LINK!!!</sup></a>
    ....(o_ Penguins
    .---/(o_- techno_racing
    +(---//\-' in
    .+(_)--(_)' The McMurdo 500

Thanks

Waaa?

Is this leading somewhere?
    Are you trying to say something?
    You trying to give a useful solution?
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Code:
    a:hover{
    cursor: url(cursors/printer.ani);}
    That's the css you want. But custom cursors aren't widely supported. So I suggest not using them.
    Thou com'st in such a questionable shape
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4