Advanced Search

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W3C Compliant

Thanks

Default W3C Compliant

I'm trying to make my site W3C Compliant to the webs standards, but it seems the <br /> tags are not recognized, is there anything else I can use to space and separate Div's?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Guy View Post
    I'm trying to make my site W3C Compliant to the webs standards, but it seems the <br /> tags are not recognized,
    Without seeing the mark-up in question, I can't be certain, but I expect that you are using the br element in a location where it is not permitted.

The following will probably sound elitist, but I write it so that you don't encounter problems in the future. If you fall foul of a relatively simple error such as the one described above, you probably don't understand XML or XHTML properly. As such, I would advise that you stay away from both: use HTML, only. Serving XHTML on the Web is dubious at the best of times and has several considerations, especially for the future, that require a good depth of knowledge.

is there anything else I can use to space and separate Div's?
    You wrote of conformance earlier; even if you did use br elements to visually separate div elements, you would not be conforming to W3C Recommendations. (Note that there's a difference between validity and conformance.)

The br element is meant to break a line, not introduce vertical space. For example, each line of a verse or an address needs to be broken from the lines before it, so using the element is fine. If you need to add space between two elements, use CSS - Cascading Style Sheets. Add margins or padding, typically using the em unit amongst text, to the element you want to separate.

Hope that helps.
    Mike

Thanks

Yes, I myself am a new coder, I hand coded my site through notepad and uploaded it to my FTP on my host, then I rigorously edited the code to work properly in both Fire Fox and IE, then I started validating my document which took awhile and all I have left is the <br /> tag, I'm not sure how to separate the Div's using CSS, everything I've tried didn't work.

Thanks

No problem. Could you please post a link to the document in question. CSS selectors - the notation one uses to choose elements to style - depends on structure so it's not so easy just to post a solution without knowing what you've created, and how.
    Mike

Thanks

My host is down right now, so I have to wait til they have everything back up and running so I can get the source. I was stupid not to download all my files into a folder on my desktop incase something like this happened lol.

Thanks

Ha, I suggest making the files on your computer first, then uploading it to your host.
    Thou com'st in such a questionable shape
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexjewell View Post
    Ha, I suggest making the files on your computer first, then uploading it to your host.
    I hand code all my stuff in notepad and upload them in the FTP. The thing is, I started editing my files in my FTP instead of what was saved on my computer then reuploading them lol.

Thanks

Haha, bad habit.
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexjewell View Post
    Haha, bad habit.
    Its really going to suck if they can't recover my files :-(...god the horror of revalidating the CSS and HTML lol.

Thanks

hahaha. it was difficult in the beginning, but it's worth it in the end.
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4