Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disabling View Source?

Thanks

Question Disabling View Source?

is there a script that will disable view source altogether?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadpoeticstar
    is there a script that will disable view source altogether?
    No. It is impossible. Anything that is publically accessible can be saved and viewed at the user's leisure, and there is nothing you can do about that.

In any case, nobody's mark-up is so special that it needs hiding or protecting.

Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Hide Source

You can encrypt it. Seems like alot of bother to me. You can use scripts to make it difficult, but you cannot hide it from me or anyone with a little more than basic knowledge of the workings of their browser.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1
    You can encrypt it.
    No you can't, at least not in any way that actually means something. If the user agent can decrypt it - and it has to - so can anyone else. For instance, Firefox allows access to the document tree using the DOM Inspector. You can export the document, which will give you the source code that is equivalent to the current state of the page. So again: it's impossible.

Mike

Thanks

but can we use script to prevent someone from downloading/saving our web page. I'f seen some website that can do that. When we use the commom "save page as..." from our browser, it only save 1kb of empty htm page to my Hdd.
    I wanna know how to do this.
    I know that theres some program out there that can d/l all content from a website, but i just wanna know how to protect our website from the common "save page as..." from common browser. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by selece28
    but can we use script to prevent someone from downloading/saving our web page.
    No. I've said that already.

I'f seen some website that can do that.
    Care to provide a link?

When we use the commom "save page as..." from our browser, it only save 1kb of empty htm page to my Hdd.
    I find that hard to believe.

In order for any user agent to render a document, it must download the mark-up and any other additional resources indicated. If that data has been downloaded, it is on the user's computer, and if it's on the computer it can be saved. It's as simple as that.

The Web is a system originally motivated to allow the sharing of information. The very concept of "hiding" (outside authentication, access controls, and the like) doesn't fit at all. That's why when I say "No", I mean it.

Mike

Thanks

Talking html content protection

There are several programs that allow you to protect your content. Some work by running a script that basically hides the content using some sort of encrpytion or other methods and when a browser opens your site it runs the script which displays the original content. If you "view source" you see a bunch of garbage. I am sure you have seen emails with strange story lines that don't make sense but they translate into the content. As I said there are many methods out there. You have the option of encrypting various levels also instead of the entire file. The options vary. I see more and more sites protecting their content these days.

Artists can also protect their images using similar programs. I can go on and on talking about this topic...

There are others besides that one example that allow you to protect different levels of your source files such as anything between the BODY tags or ALL TAGS or even just your text outside of any TAGS. I have tried several of these programs out and like anything else available some are worth trying and some aren't. Most of them were free from what I remember. The ones that required payment or a donation to keep using weren't any better than some of the free ones.

Try doing a search for HTML Protection and you'll find loads of them to try. I am not sure what the rules are around here about mentioning names so PM me and I will tell you the ones I liked the best and still use. Yes, that was plural. I never have found one of anything that can do it all. I use one that makes email addresses safe from web bots. That one was worth paying for but it was free. I actually sent the author a few bucks via PayPal with a "thank you!" message. I believe in trying stuff for free but if it's good and you're going to keep using it I believe in paying for it too.

Hope I helped, I didn't read the entire thread. If I am off topic or missed something I apologize.

Chuck

Thanks

I'm getting sick of this topic. How many times do I have to say it's impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    There are several programs that allow you to protect your content. Some work by running a script [...]
    That script is client-side, and has to be run by the user agent in order to get the original mark-up. Instead of writing the output into a document, you could simply write into a textarea element, or something similar. If you have Firefox, it's even easier: it allows you to export the entire document tree - the one that exists after scripts have been executed. That is certainly impossible to prevent.

Now, can we drop this nonsense? It doesn't take a genius to understand that the content on the Web cannot be protected. You can make it hard, but far from impossible. If someone is intent on getting the content - and your content isn't really worth the effort, I'm certain - you will do nothing to stop them. Moreover, these encryption mechanisms make your site reliant on scripting which is pointless. Not only do you reduce the number of potential vistors, but what you're attempting doesn't even work so you've excluded these others for no reason!

For feck's sake. Think, people!

I use one that makes email addresses safe from web bots.
    Those don't work, either. A bot could simply piggyback on a user agent that would run the script, then iterate through the links collection to find mailto URIs. I also know there's one program (though I forget its name) that can execute client-side scripts directly, anyway.

If you want to bury your heads in the sand, thinking that rubbish like this works, fine. I'm fed up of trying to persuade you otherwise.

Mike

Thanks

Default youre right!

Sorry Mike,

I didn't mean to beat a dead horse when I ran across this thread.

I now understand what you were referring to and I agree with you completely! You are absolutely correct. If someone wants it they can get it and quite easily if they know what they are doing.

Like locks on doors are for honest people so are most of the little scripts with warnings and the other stuff mentioned in previous posts. Depending on the level of protection most people aren't going to bother. It's isn't worth the time or trouble to get at your source code and for those people who can get at it easily enough anyway have no real need to anyway since they can probably write the same stuff faster then it takes to grab yours.

I am new here so how or who can close the thread?

Chuck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck
    Sorry Mike,
    It is I who should apologise. Your post got me riled up and it shouldn't have.

I didn't mean to beat a dead horse when I ran across this thread.
    I don't mind going over the same topics (though of course, there is an eventual limit)...

I now understand what you were referring to and I agree with you completely!
    ...as long as the message gets across. I tend to choose my words carefully, so "impossible" isn't a word I'd use lightly. To then be repeatedly challenged is just infuriating.

So again, my apologies to you.

I am new here so how or who can close the thread?
    Only the moderator (ddadmin), I believe. I've only created one thread here (a treatise, not a question) and I can't close that.

Mike