Advanced Search

Thread: Making a Global Variable from Inside a Function?

Thanks

Default Making a Global Variable from Inside a Function?

I was just wondering if it was possible to make a global variable from inside a function. Like:

function blah () {
    var lol = "bye";
    }

But make it so then you could use it in some other function. Like maybe:

function alerter () {
    alert(lol);
    }

I'm still developing my style of coding and this would be useful to know how to do (if possible).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post
    I was just wondering if it was possible to make a global variable from inside a function.
    A variable, in a literal sense (see your deletion thread), can only be defined using a var declaration, therefore the statement must occur outside any function. However, a property can be created at any time, provided you have a reference to the object.

Code:
    var global = this;  // You can use window, but I prefer not to.

function foo() {
        global.property = 'value';
    }
    If the variable is predictable, I would suggest that you just declare it and reserve the above for cases where run-time creation really are necessary - for example, when the property name is chosen dynamically. Using a declaration makes it clear what variables exist, rather than forcing one to look through every line of code for an assignment.
    Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's also usually a sign of bad code that it uses global variables. If you really must have global variables, you should create a single namespacing object and keep all the variables within that. If you find yourself using global variables a lot, then chances are there's a better way to accomplish whatever you're doing.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    If you really must have global variables, you should create a single namespacing object and keep all the variables within that.
    I don't really like "namespaces" in scripts. It's cumbersome and adds a performance penalty. Using a function expression called immediately avoids creating global variables, with only a one-off penalty rather than a cumulative one:

Code:
    (function () {
        var sortOfGlobal;

/* ... */
    })();
    Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't really like "namespaces" in scripts. It's cumbersome and adds a performance penalty.
    A matter of taste, I think. Personally, I'd take the small performance penalty in exchange for increasing the modularity of my script, especially if it were a large one.

The function expression does help avoid conflicts, but there are other benefits to namespacing.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!