Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random Text colr Change

Thanks

Thank you.

I have used W3schools tutorials often and find it to be a great site to learn.

MDC seems to be a new one to me. I will check it out.

I am wondering why you referred the library as a source. Aren't the online tutorials good enough?

thanks much.

Thanks

I tend to like books more when learning something new. Of course, I still like using online tutorials, but books tend to give better explanations and more demos.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Whereas I don't: books tend to be out-of-date and quite often contain bad or simply incorrect information, and hey, the search function sucks Books can be a good reference, but in general I wouldn't use them if I didn't have enough knowledge to tell good code from bad. The same applies to w3schools, which has quite a reputation for providing inaccurate information.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Then which good online tutorial(s) would you recommend for learning Javascript ? If some are good while others aren't how would one know which one to choose?

As far as books are concerned which would be a good book?

How did you learn your JavaScript and what sources did you use?

I am impressed with the scripting abilities you all possess.

Thanks.

Thanks

I am completely self-taught. (I wanted to take a JS class over this summer too at my school, but sadly, it doesn't offer it. Probably because of a lack of standards.) I got into programming through a friend's books. I remember the days of learning HTML, and that was programming... Well, once I got comfortable with that, I picked up my friend's "Javascript in Easy Steps" book and went from there. I couldn't tell you where I learned all my material, as it is mostly from hodge-podge websites and all, but most of it simply comes from practice. As for my current scripting skills, I guess I'm intermediate, but all you require is a will to do something and you will get it done. Eventually, what code you have seen in this thread will not seem all too "impressive", especially once you delve more into OO concepts and understand them. To me, programming is like a (fun) puzzle, and hell, you even get frustrated, but that makes you only more determined to figure something out.

Have fun learning, and h4x the web!!!

Oh, and the best source is none other than http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/ (which is >>> google for obvious reasons)
    Last edited by Trinithis; 06-04-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: pronoun agreement

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The tutorials on http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/ are rather good.
    If some are good while others aren't how would one know which one to choose?
    The only way is to ask someone who knows the language well enough to tell the difference.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Well, actually, my best resource is this forum.

And, kind of along the same lines, looking at other peoples' code. To me, seeing real examples, rather than the apple, banana, pear and hello world sort of examples, helps me learn.
    Thou com'st in such a questionable shape
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4

Thanks

Thank you for all the helpful replies.

I was also thinking along the lines of perhaps getting a JavaScript reference manual online, or the library, if one is avialable.

It has been suggested to me that with such a reference manual one can learn alot more than any other venues.

Thanks

For a quick overview of JavaScript basics, try
    http://welookups.com/js/default.html

When looking up specific stuff for JS, try googling "mdc ****" where **** is what you want, such as String or Math. MDC is a good site for that stuff.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

//setTimeout("mixNumber()",changeSpeed); using setTimeout you can change the time span in which the color of the text will change.