Thread: Help needed adding "sub space for underscore or %20" in script

Thanks

Default Help needed adding "sub space for underscore or %20" in script

Hello.

I am using a script that I received from someone after I posted a request at this site (thanks!), which finds a specific directory name and displays it on the webpage in a specified table. The script is working well, except for directories with two or more words. If the multiple word directory name is written with an _underscore_ in place of the blank space, then the underscore is displayed in the title. If the directory has a blank space, then the blank space is displayed as "%20" in the title.

For example:

1) A directory named "Blue_Bird" becomes a section title displayed as "Blue_Bird" ... but I would like the script to be told to substitutle a blank space for an underscore, so the title would read: "Blue Bird"

2) A directory named "Red Bird" becomes a section title displayed as "Red%20Bird" ... but I would like the script to be told to display a blank space for a blank space (or for a "%20", if it is picking this up from the code), so the title would read: "Red Bird"

Following is a copy of the existing script:

<script type="text/javascript">
    function disp_current_directory(){
    var ext='htm';
    var dirs=window.location.href.split('/'),
    cdir=dirs[dirs.length-2];
    document.write('<a href="'+cdir.toLowerCase()+'.'+ext+'">'+cdir.toUpperCase()+'<\/a>');
    }
    disp_current_directory();
    </script>

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Larry

Thanks

I believe str.replace should be able to work.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Thanks GM,

I'm a novice.
    Would it be possible for you to insert str.replace into the exisiting script and resend?

Thanks!
    Larry

Thanks

I'm actually not sure how to use it, since JS isnt' really my area. I'd suggest googling it, or just being patient until someone else can tell you.

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_replace.asp <<looks like good info.

So... something like:
    mystring.str.replace('_',' ');
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function disp_current_directory(){
    var ext='htm';
    var dirs=window.location.href.split('/'),
    cdir=dirs[dirs.length-2];
    document.write('<a href="'+cdir.toLowerCase()+'.'+ext+'">'+unescape(cdir).toUpperCase().replace(/_/g,' ')+'<\/a>');
    }
    disp_current_directory();
    </script>
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

You'd need to use the function twice, though, since you want spaces kept as well. (Or, &#37;20.)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33 View Post
    You'd need to use the function twice, though, since you want spaces kept as well. (Or, %20.)
    Who, me? Which function? The way I wrote the function, it unescapes (which replaces all %## entities with their actual characters) before it replaces underscores with spaces.

One thing that puzzles me though, and I think I wrote the original code that this comes from is why .toLowerCase() for the link's href? I think it should be the verbatim cdir string because, if that contains upper case letters and they are changed to lower case letters, it will become a different and probably invalid href.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Oh, ok. I misread your script. I agree about the lowercase.