Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT:eval() not working in Firefox

Thanks

Default URGENT:eval() not working in Firefox

hi all,
    I'm having a strange problem with eval function in firefox. I've a javascript function where in i'm setting the display property to inline or none.
    This works perfect in IE. but whe I opened my page in Firefox, its not working. I tried to put some alert() at various places in the function, and found that it stops at a line before eval() function.

I wanted to know is there any equivalent way for this function.Or I'll have to change it....I'm going nuts, to figure it out.Please help......

Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The only time that eval() is ever necessary in JS is when parsing code from an external source, such as JSON. There is almost certainly a better way to do whatever it is you're attempting to do. We can't tell you what it is without seeing the code, though.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Hi,
    Well I've few rows in my page, whose display property i'm setting through.
    For example,I've row as...

<tr id="trColaspe1" style="display:inline;"><td>........</td></tr>
    <tr id="trColaspe2" style="display:none;"><td>........</td></tr>

Now on click on an image, i'm calling a javascript function to change the style settings with eval(). Example.....

eval("trColaspe1.style.display='none'");
    eval("trColaspe2.style.display='inline'");

This is working perfectly fine in IE. but in firefox, the function stops at this point.

I hope, I was able to explain what you wanted to know.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No, not really. You've got a lot of bad coding practices going on. Never access elements as global objects (this will actually throw a warning in Firefox, it's so outdated), and there's absolutely no reason to use eval() there. Also, table rows shouldn't have display: inline; (or at least, not if you want them to behave like table rows); they should have display: table-row; by default in CSS2-compliant browsers, although IE treats them as "inline with magic." The safest option is to set display to an empty string, which will revert the property to its default value:
    Code:
    document.getElementById("trColaspe1").style.display = "none";
    document.getElementById("trColaspe2").style.display = "";
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Technically, you should use the table.rows[index].cells[index] method, and give the table an id.
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't know about "technically should..." it would be better in some cases, but using getElementById() to obtain the row directly can be fine, if not quite as neat.

Thanks

Hey thanks a lot Twey,
    I did change that eval to getElementById(), and it works.And i'll do check out with that "inline", property.

Thanks again...

Thanks

Yes.. display="" instead of inline. works perfect.

Thanks a lot again....

:-)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 3,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

LOL,

Now that this is solved, and I have no problem with the solution (for backward compatibility though, using the rows collection would be a better approach, as would object testing), I would like to point out that in IE:

Code:
    trColaspe1.style.display='none';
    trColaspe2.style.display='inline';
    should work just as well as:

Code:
    eval("trColaspe1.style.display='none'");
    eval("trColaspe2.style.display='inline'");
    And, just as poorly in other browsers.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I believe that point has already been established, but document.getElementById() should be used in all cases.
    - Mike