Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downloading Fedora Core 6

Thanks

I'll try installing it again after school, so I'll get back to you on that. I think my problem might be that I still have my Nintendo Wi-Fi thing in a USB port. It might count as media(but I'm not really sure). Oh yeah when I got to the part where I say whether I want Fedora to go to Hard Drive a or b I choose b and set it to ext3 and / I tried /home but it didn't work.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Should be fine, but I really hope there's nothing important on hdb.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

There's nothing on hdb I just got it this monday, good price too $15 for 40Gb.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

OK, set hdb up as / then. ext3 is fine (I'm not sure if the Fedora installer handles other filesystems, actually... used to be that you had to hack it a bit to get it to work even with reiserfs).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Ok, I found out what the screen said it was boot failure:system halted.

Thanks

I have found a program called GRUB on the Fedora website is this why it won't boot when I do the reboot?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ok, I found out what the screen said it was boot failure:system halted.
    What screen? Is that all it says?

Try installing grub manually -- I've seen the FC6 installer fail to install it properly before.

Thanks

Sorry when I reboot the computer I get a Black Screen that says Boot Failed:System halted and that is all it says. Ok I'll try downloading GRUB then.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No, you don't want to download grub: it's already been installed onto your boot partition, but I suspect the installer hasn't installed it into the MBR correctly. This is a known problem with the FC6 installer. Boot up the CD/DVD in rescue mode ("linux rescue" at the prompt), then follow the prompts, mounting your system under /mnt/sysimage when asked. When you get to a shell, do the following:
    Code:
    bash# chroot /mnt/sysimage
    bash# grub-install /dev/hdb
    bash# reboot
    Remove the disk and boot normally.

Thanks

Ok I will try it, I had a feeling GRUB may already be part of it.