Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smooth Transition Between Pages

Thanks

It's funny that you should mention that. I've been getting a lot of questions on this same thing.

I get AS 2.0, but how does AS 3.0 change the picture?
    Well, it doesn't really. The tools change, but the logic is still the same. In the posted source files, we used McTween to do the animations. For AS 3, we upgrade to the Tweener class.

Since I'm a little free this week (I just finished a large Flash project, and we don't have another one until the end of next week), I decided to make a quick tutorial on how to do this in AS3. It's not ready yet, but when it is, I'll post it here.

So, subscribe to this thread or check back in a few days.

Thanks

Ok, so the tut isn't up yet.
    I'm planning a series in both AS 2.0 and AS 3.0 to go from a basic "click for next" slideshow to a fully dynamic database-powered and/or XML/API powered one.

I'm not sure how many installments this will take but it should be fun (and a time saver as I see this question a lot).

I ported my previous example to AS3. It's not the way I would do it for a large application of this type, but it should get you started on some ideas.

You'll need Tweener installed to do be able to edit/compile the source.

Check back here for a some step by step tutorials in a few days.

EXAMPLE PAGE + SOURCE // TWEENING IN ACTIONSCRIPT 3.0

Thanks

This link is broken too Medyman.

Thanks

Thanks.

The page that was linked can now be found here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medyman For This Useful Post:

ReadyToLearn (05-03-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    Thanks for updating those wswingsze.

Since two people have asked this in the last few posts (even though they're pretty old), I'll answer.

Yes, it's possible to load an image on the first frame. Just call the loadPage() function and set the whatIsNext variable outside an onRelease event.
    is there any way you could show an example of how to do this. i have tried different ways and cant get it to work. im desperate to get this sorted as i have to get a site live tomorrow! eek! thanks in advance!

Thanks

Medyman, thanks so much for your template. It really helped me understand how to use actionscript for navigation and transitions (instead of doing it in the timeline). Being that I knew very little actionscript before reading this thread, you clearly have a good way of explaining things.

I am wondering if I can ask you to take this example a step further. I am trying to build a portfolio site that uses entrance and exit animations for several levels of navigation. For example, you click on "videos" and a VHS tape appears with several more navigation options (camera, director, etc.). When you click on say "camera" a video appears and you have a "next" and "previous" button to access other videos in this category.

Meanwhile I need the VHS nav bar that originally flew in to stick around while the various videos come in and out. I can't do this with what you originally provided b/c obviously it does the exit animation and takes it away if I make the individual video pages part of the original actionscript (like adding a pg.7,8,9...).

Hopefully this makes sense. I feel like there must be a simple "do exit animation, except if pg.7,8,9) kind of thing that could work here.

I've tried to reincorporate navigation on the timeline for these interior pages, but that has just created a mess.

Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    (Flash 8)

Thanks

Well, you would essentially use the same technique but on two different levels. When I get a chance, I'll put together a demo.

Thanks

I have just discovered this thread and I am so thankful Medyman - your solution for transitioning between pages was so elegant and clean, and exactly what I was looking for. I had been unsatisfactorily trying various methods of transition between pages for days!

But I am now trying to make the first of my movie clips appear on the first frame. You gave the following answer to someone with the same problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Medyman View Post
    Thanks for updating those wswingsze.

Since two people have asked this in the last few posts (even though they're pretty old), I'll answer.

Yes, it's possible to load an image on the first frame. Just call the loadPage() function and set the whatIsNext variable outside an onRelease event.
    I have tried to solve this for myself with my limited Actionscript knowledge, but with no success. Would you be able to give a quick example of how you would do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try to look at the code. I wrote it too long ago to remember what exactly the loadPage() function is.

I'm not at a computer with Flash at the moment so can't do much right now.

Thanks

WOW! What was I thinking when I made this? It's brutal to see your old code. It's so unelegant! I'm going to redo this and upload a new demo with more efficient code.

But to the point at hand -

Change the highlighted variables as shown:
    Code:
    var whoIsOn:Number = 0;
    var whatIsNext:Number = 1;
    var blankScreen:Boolean = false;
    Next, add a call to loadPage() at the bottom of the code
    Code:
    //  Load Image on Start
    loadPage();
    But I don't recommend using this code. If you can, wait a day or so and I'll post a newer, more robust version.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Medyman For This Useful Post:

ngstji (03-20-2009)