Thread: image thumbnail viewer 2 : add target="_blank" to link ?

Thanks

Default image thumbnail viewer 2 : add target="_blank" to link ?

1) Script Title: Image Thumbnail Viewer II

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...thumbnail2.htm

3) Describe problem:
    Hello,
    first of all thanks for your brilliant scripts and forums, as a designer with no javascript skills i really love them.

My question is this : is there any way to modify the script so that the link (to an external site) on the large image will open in a new window ? also, is there a way to add an extra line of text to the description shown beneath the image, like "visit the site", which could be linked (with the target="_blank") ? since the text is inside the title attribute adding the link code caused problems....

Another (less important) question, is there a way to AVOID showing the tooltip when you hover over the original link ? since the text is rather long (and includes br tags...) in this particular case it's not very elegant...

possibly there is a different script (or even a css solution) that would be better adapted ? This one seems really to be what i want but all suggestions are welcome...

the (totally not finished yet) page using the code, so you can see what i mean :
    http://audrey.keszek.free.fr/__NEWSITE/refs.htm

thanks in advance for any help you can provide ! I really appreciate it. I hope this question hasn't already been answered, there was a strange bug on the search function earlier and i couldn't get past the first page of results (i tried though, really !)...

Cheers

PS I have used this script before (here :
    http://cielunatic.free.fr/index2.htm then click on "images") and i really like the result, so maximum respect to all of you dev geniuses and thanks again for sharing the javascript love...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

You can set the base target on the page to _new but, then you need to set the target on any other links on the page that you wish to have open in the same window as _self, ex:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title></title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <base target="_new">
    You could instead set the target="_new" in the thumbnailviewer2.js script (addition red):

Code:
    imageHTML='<a target="_new" href="'+dest+'">'+imageHTML+'</a>'
    You can use a link in the title attribute:

Code:
    title="This is an <a href='http://www.dynamicdrive.com' target='_new'>example</a>"
    To get rid of the tool tip, put this code as the last thing on your page right before the </body> tag:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    (function(){
    if(document.body.getAttribute)
    for (var i = 0, l=document.links; i < l.length; i++)
    if(/enlargeimage/.test(l[i].getAttribute('rel'))){
    l[i].caption=l[i].getAttribute('title');
    l[i].removeAttribute('title');
    }
    })();
    </script>
    And, change this line in thumbnailviewer2.js:

Code:
    var description=(thumbnailviewer2.enableTitle && linkobj.getAttribute("title"))? linkobj.getAttribute("title") : "" //Get title attr
    to:

Code:
    var description=(thumbnailviewer2.enableTitle && linkobj.caption)? linkobj.caption : "" //Get title attr
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 04-23-2007 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Protect script-let's variables
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hello,
    I set the target="_new" in the thumbview code and it works brilliantly, thanks so much !! the links in the description text also (i think it didn't work when i tried it the first time because i used " instead of ' around the extra code ; i didn't know about that).

But, when I added / modified the code to get rid of the tooltip, a strange problem :
    the tooltip continues to appear when I hover over the text link, but when I click, there is no more text under the enlarged image ! this is the opposite of what I wanted to achieve in fact, sorry if i was unclear !
    Is there any way to *keep* the text description under the enlarged image, but NOT show the tooltip over the text menu on the left ? if this is not possible it's not the end of the world, only i would prefer it to avoid the rather ungainly tooltips...

I put the modified pages on line so you can see what i mean (same address as above).

thanks again for your help !

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

This:

Code:
    (function(){
    }
    })();
    </script>
    belongs at the end of the page:

Code:
    (function(){
    }
    })();
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

oh sheesh, what a novice... i didn't even notice it was a closing tag. that will teach me to stare at code until 2 am...

but now it works perfectly !

thanks !