Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why I'll never try Linux

Thanks

Default This is why I'll never try Linux

I installed Ubuntu Server a couple of days ago. What did it do?

- It erased my hard disk
    - It deleted all my partitions
    - It wouldn't start
    - It wouldn't log me in
    - It didn't recognize my mouse

That just made me never to want to install Linux ever again.

So I got Vista. And it was pretty good except it kept on asking me if I wanted to allow things.

Have you ever had any trouble with Linux?
    Last edited by tech_support; 04-12-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Forgot one...
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

I was never a linux guy

Thanks

I don't get some people when they say 'linux is good. use it.' or 'I hate Windows so I'll use Linux.'

Linux is a much more technical operating system, and I'll give 1/10 for user friendliness.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

- It erased my hard disk
    - It deleted all my partitions
    I suspect it probably presented you with a partition manager, and you did that yourself I can't speak for the other two, since you didn't give any details.
    Linux is a much more technical operating system, and I'll give 1/10 for user friendliness.
    In regards to the partition manager, have you ever tried to do anything complex with Windows? Windows:
    • Doesn't like being installed on extended partitions
    • Must have a partition on the primary hard drive
    • Doesn't recognise partitions in any format other than NTFS or FAT, so if you don't have your entire partition table essentially memorised, you're working blind.
    Also bear in mind that you were installing a server version. Servers are meant to be operated by technical professionals, not end-users, so the system is probably a lot less user-friendly than an end-user edition of Ubuntu (although I haven't used either version, so I can't say for sure).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

how much did you read up on the installation process before putting the disks in? You did read the wiki? specifically, this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/...86/backup.html
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

Yes, Ubuntu Server is just command line and to be used by "technical professionals". The other versions of Ubuntu (such as KUbuntu, XUbunu, and some others have a very user friendly Interface. Not to mention that Linux distros pretty much recognize any hardware you add to the computer (such as USB Flash Drives for example), without having to search for/load any drivers for it. Also; that is only the Ubuntu distro that you tried (I suppose), there are literally tons of others out there such as SUSE, Mandriva, Fedora just to name a few.

Hope this helps.

//Edit: Sorry Boxxertrumps, Cross posted.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey
    I suspect it probably presented you with a partition manager, and you did that yourself
    I selected the "use maximum space available" option.

Doesn't like being installed on extended partitions
    I've installed it on an extended partition before, it just needs a primary partition to boot (Boot sector)

Must have a partition on the primary hard drive
    Really? I'm guessing it's because it needs to boot from it (as said before)

Also bear in mind that you were installing a server version. Servers are meant to be operated by technical professionals, not end-users, so the system is probably a lot less user-friendly than an end-user edition of Ubuntu (although I haven't used either version, so I can't say for sure).
    I was trying to install the server version of Ubuntu to setup a web server. Even Windows Server 2003 is more friendlier than this.

Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps
    how much did you read up on the installation process before putting the disks in? You did read the wiki? specifically, this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/...86/backup.html
    Yep, luckily I did backup all my data.

Quote Originally Posted by thetestingsite
    Yes, Ubuntu Server is just command line and to be used by "technical professionals". The other versions of Ubuntu (such as KUbuntu, XUbunu, and some others have a very user friendly Interface. Not to mention that Linux distros pretty much recognize any hardware you add to the computer (such as USB Flash Drives for example), without having to search for/load any drivers for it. Also; that is only the Ubuntu distro that you tried (I suppose), there are literally tons of others out there such as SUSE, Mandriva, Fedora just to name a few.
    I did try to install Fedora 6 Core, but it didn't start up.

Thanks

I don't know then, I have tried the following distros and they all worked for me:

1. Ubuntu Server
    2. KUbuntu
    3. XUbuntu
    4. Fedora 6 Core
    5. Mandriva (don't remember what version)
    6. and OpenSUSE

Not sure what problems you are having with your system (also, on all of these distros you can install and run a webserver).
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Thanks

Thanks thetestingsite.

I'll probably try OpenSUSE when I download it.

Thanks

No problem. Personally (spelling?) though, I would recommend XUbuntu or KUbuntu as they are the ones that I really enjoy (and see the most "User Friendlyness").

Hope this helps.