Advanced Search

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'crapware'

Thanks

Default 'crapware'

crapware is the unofficial definition for useless trial software that comes with so many brand new pcs now, I recently bought a new pc (3ghz dual core, 1gig ram, 7600gt, 320gig hd...) for around £440, it hasn't come yet so I still have to deal with the piece of junk im using now (1.5ghz, 512mb ram, radeon 9000, 40gig hd, spyware, system faults...) and am wondering how much, if any crapware it comes with. Luckily the pc is NOT a dell *shudders*.

What are peoples thoughts/ experiences with crapware?

Thanks

if any crapware it comes with
    *cough*Peer2Peer*cough*downloads.
    - Mike

Thanks

I always preformat when i get a new computer, and I do custom installs. so i generally have less crapware then alot of people do on a "recommended" install. but there are always a few things that get thru in which the great power off add/remove programs comes in handy :> usually takes me a good 3 / 4 hrs to get it all set up, but I think thats time well spent to get rid of the junk and get all the software I do want. also deactivate your "system restore" as it really doesn't provide any useful utility since most virus's attack those file, thus making it pointless to restore. and edit your startup so that it only loads the necessary files too, because even the OS system initiates files that are for lack of a better word.... retarded, as they are not ran every time you have the computer on

Thanks
    Blog Entries

As pissa says, I always do a complete reinstall of everything on a new PC. Avoids any little goodies the OEM might have left for you

The biggest problem I find is Windows... there's a horrible tendency to bundle Windows with PCs, to the point where it can be quite hard to find a PC without it. This is a real problem if you already have a copy or (like me) don't want to install Windows on it in the first place, since you're paying for a new copy anyway.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

It's never fun to buy a new computer, assuming to start off with a clean slate, to find windows and other crapware* already installed. The only exception is a web browser. you need that to download a better web browser.

* Note that I'm including windows as crapware...
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The only exception is a web browser. you need that to download a better web browser.
    Er, not on systems with a package manager...
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

But you need something to access the net.
    I guess you could be creative and write yourself a program, but that's overkill
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

But you need something to access the net.
    Yeah... but not a browser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps View Post
    It's never fun to buy a new computer, assuming to start off with a clean slate, to find windows and other crapware* already installed. The only exception is a web browser. you need that to download a better web browser.

* Note that I'm including windows as crapware...
    So why is it people include windows as crapware? I understand what Twey said about already having one or getting a better version, but I've heard others before say that they really don't like windows. What are the reasons?

Thanks

I'm amused by the reference to dell. I got a dell laptop last year. Wow, did it come with a ton of junk. I don't even know what half of it is.
    And of course they don't send the restore discs... just for fun. But I called and complained and got them.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum