Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Programming Language

Thanks
    Blog Entries

If we have two classes (let's be imaginative and call them ObjectA and ObjectB), where ObjectB is a subclass of ObjectA:
    Code:
    class ObjectA {
      public:
        ObjectA() {};
        ~ObjectA() {};

void foo() {};
    };

class ObjectB : public ObjectA {
      public:
        ObjectB() : ObjectA() {};

void bar() {};
    };
    It's entirely safe to (up-)cast from ObjectB to ObjectA, since an ObjectB instance will always have all the properties and methods of an ObjectA. ObjectB must have a foo() method; if it doesn't implement its own version it will get ObjectA's default implementation:
    Code:
    ObjectB *oB = new ObjectB;
    ObjectA *oA;
    oA = static_cast<ObjectA*>(oB);
    oA->foo(); // always fine
    However, there is no such guarantee when going (down-casting) the other way: an ObjectA need not implement everything that an ObjectB does, and indeed, in our sample ObjectA lacks ObjectB's bar() method:
    Code:
    ObjectB *oA = new ObjectA;
    ObjectB *oB;
    oB = static_cast<ObjectB*>(oA);
    oB->bar(); // fails!
    Last edited by Twey; 07-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Thanks for you post Twey but unluckly I havn't even learnt subclasses, all this time I've been getting used to classes(basics). Do you mind quickly filling me up on all the info of subclasses?

Thanks

"all the info"?
    ...do you not look at tutorials?
    I have no idea how to use subclasses. But if I wanted to, I'm sure there's plenty of info on how to start on google or in any tutorial.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

What dont you understand about what I have already written! I have clearly stated that nearly all the tutorials I do look for end up using some long complicated words...

Basically I understand what Twey tries to point out(well most of the time ) compared to, well, other sites...

edit - I realizethat this is abit random but does anyone mind explainng bits to me?
    Last edited by pcbrainbuster; 07-05-2007 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks

Then look up the long and complicated words...
    Or learn an easier language.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Exactly HTML, JavaScript and all those others were guinny pigs...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I think perhaps tech_support meant easier than English
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Oh shoot, sorry tech_support that was way out of line and I apologise

edit - By the way guys I actually tried and read and understood everything the was at main level of importancy on this page - http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/classes.html - Up to Constructors and Destructors...
    Last edited by pcbrainbuster; 07-07-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks

Oh that... Nevermind. I can shoot you later
    I'm sure you meant no harm.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

edit - By the way guys I actually tried and read and understood everything the was at main level of importancy on this page - http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/classes.html - Up to Constructors and Destructors...
    There's nothing scary about constructors and destructors. A constructor is just a special method that's called when the class is created, and a destructor is one that's called when the class is destroyed.