Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Programming Language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcbrainbuster View Post
    I just wanted to know how to add images and sound using C++...
    From what I recall of this thread (I'm not going to re-read it), you've been told repeatedly.

For example IE is probably mostly C and yet using scripts and what not you can add images, sound and animation.
    Yes, by calling predefined code that renders these things. In the case of IE, it'll use the Win32 API. However, other interfaces can be used instead (such as wxWidgets and Qt, which have been mentioned numerous times).

And C++ is basically C but with improvements
    No, it isn't. C++ is largely, but not totally backwards-compatible with C, but that's all that should be said on the subject.

and you should be able to see why I keep asking the same question...
    And, frankly, I'm tired of answering it.

If a program is built to run in a graphical environment (such as Windows), then of course it can create graphical elements.

At least in Windows, a console program is simply software that causes the OS to create a console. GUI-based programs are essentially the same thing, minus the console.
    You do realize I was talking about the console itself in a graphical environment all this time right?
    Yes, your point? You shouldn't be looking at interacting with the graphical subsystem yet. Learn the language, first.

2) Is Windows Live Messenger completely C?
    I would have expected it to use a .NET language.

I am asking this because I like its features such as 'remote desktop' and 'live message sending' and would one day like to do the same thing in a different way...
    This has nothing to do with the language used to write the software.
    Mike

Thanks

Well I'm sorry for my troubles but please try to bare with me, understand that I am a 13 year old who walks around with a undeveloped brain, ie zombie ...

edit - What is wrong with my test? -

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;

class multiplicate
    {
    public :
    int x, y, z;
    multiplicate(int num)
    {
    x=num*10;
    y=num*100;
    z=num*1000;
    }

~multiplicate() {}
    }

int main()
    {
    int contin=1;
    int number=0;
    while(contin!=0)
    {
    cout << "Write down a number that will be multiplicated by 10, 100 and 1000 times respectively - ";
    cin >> number;
    cout << "\n\n";
    multiplicate act(number);
    cout << "\n\nDo you want to start again? 1 for yes and 0 for no -";
    cin >> contin;
    }
    return 0;
    }

Thanks.
    Last edited by pcbrainbuster; 06-16-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks

edit - What is wrong with my test? -
    When asking for help debugging, always state what you expect to happen, as well as what you observe (or don't). If we don't know what code is meant to do, we cannot tell you why it's not doing it!

Code:
    class multiplicate
    {
    public :
        int x, y, z;
    Classes should exhibit encapsulation: data members should not be public. Whilst this isn't a rule, public members should be considered exceptional.

Code:
        multiplicate(int num)
    If a variable can be reasonably declared const, do so. Not only can it help serve as documentation (such a variable is clearly not meant to change) and aid in debugging (a compiler will issue a diagnostic if an attempt is made to change a constant), but certainly with references, if an argument isn't declared constant, constant values cannot be passed even though no attempt will be made to change them.

Going back to the template example I gave earlier in the thread, for instance, provides a demonstration:

Code:
    template <typename T>
    const T& min(const T& a, const T& b) {
        return (a < b) ? a : b;
    }
    If all of the const keywords were removed and one were to pass constants as arguments, the program wouldn't compile. As it is, the function will accept both constant and mutable arguments.

Code:
        ~multiplicate() {}
    There's not much point in defining a destructor if it doesn't do anything (virtual destructors, aside).
    Mike

Thanks

Yeah but your just not seeing the point... Google is good but in the end there is always something that the author will miss out...
    That's why they're SEVERAL pages of results, meaning SEVERAL authors.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

and when searching for such general/basic questions, there will likely be many more than just several pages.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

My suggestion: drop C++, it's incredibly tough to learn the way you're trying to.
    Python, with the wxPython widget is absolutely incredible.
    This is an "image" script for a wxPython script which works on all platforms.
    Code:
    import wx
    class Image(wx.Dialog):
        def __init__(self, parent, id, title):
            wx.Dialog.__init__(self, parent, id, title)
            bmp = wx.Image("image.png", wx.BITMAP_TYPE_PNG).ConvertToBitmap()
            wx.StaticBitmap(self, -1, bmp, (5,5))

class Run(wx.App):
        def OnInit(self):
            dlg = Image(None, -1, "Image Script")
            dlg.ShowModal()
            dlg.Destroy()
            return True

app = Run()
    app.MainLoop()
    You'll need Python:
    http://www.python.org/

and wxPython:
    http://www.wxpython.org/
    - Mike

Thanks

- Mike

Thanks

I've done to much toquit now really, but since the last time I actually talked about anything I have learnt a few more things - classes (finally), constructors and destructors. But only the basics...

I'm gonna try and golearn what these things called templates are...

edit - I just realized that I do not need to learn tmplates yet and am finding something else to look up. I think I remember somthing about up-casting by mwinter and now will look it up...

edit - Again omething which I should learn later. I think I should build up my knowlegde of classes more...
    Last edited by pcbrainbuster; 06-19-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks

I think I remember somthing about up-casting by mwinter and now will look it up...
    When I mentioned up-casting, the concept that I was actually considering was down-casting. Up-casting is safe, down-casting is not.
    Mike

Thanks

Well I'm too confused for that I havn't quite learned anything about up/down-casting...