Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going green: Compact Fluorescent lights anyone?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Going green: Compact Fluorescent lights anyone?

I recently decided to switch out all the bulbs in my room to compact fluorescent. My main concern was that they would look very different from the regular yellowish light that I prefer, and that I would not get used to them. I first used a GE CF 75 watt (20 watt input) bulb to replace a secondary lamp in the room, and while it was very bright, the light was pure white, what I dislike. A week goes by, and I decide to replace my main reading lamp as well, the one that by far is on for the longest. I decided to go with a GE CF 100 watt (26 watt input) bulb instead, and boy was I pleasantly surprised. The light that came out was very similar to a regular light bulb, with that yellowish tone. It was very nice indeed. Now all three bulbs in my room are CF. Originally I was consuming 60watt + 60watt + 60watt (180 watts) for the 3 old bulbs in my room. Now it's 20watt + 26watt + 26watt (72 watts). And it's so much brigher too, individually or when you compare all 3 light bulbs on at the same time.

I highly recommend people who haven't tried CF yet to give it a try. Only thing to take note is that they require special attention when you're disposing them after their 5-8 year run, since they contain mercury.

And on the subject of going green before global warming kills us all, what else do you guys do to contribute? I recycle as much as I can, and I admit, even skip a few toilet flushes daily to save water. It's quite addictive I must say.

Thanks

Those lights are nice. Cheaper too, from both that they last (making up for the slight initial expense) and savings.
    They aren't, however, good at all for filming. They do very strange things to colors and such. Flickers are usually present in the image too.
    This is, though, a specific/random note that probably won't apply to many here.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Ummm, sounds like a good idea. Think I'll look into that.

Good tip for home owners to save some of that hard earn cash huh!
    "Only dead fish flow with the stream".
    - Unknown

Thanks
    Blog Entries

CF lights also shouldn't be used in warm moist areas, like your bathroom. But for regular rooms, my CF 100 watt bulbs will fool anyone as far as not looking compact fluorescent.

Thanks

I have those in my house now... The problem (well, not really a problem) is that they delay a half-second when you turn them on. Apparently they do save alot of electricity though.
    - Mike

Thanks

Yeah i noticed the delay...

Doesn't matter until someones waiting with a knife, though.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

I don't personally like energy-efficent light bulbs. They strain my eyes too much and they're not bright enough. I usually try to save electricity by putting my computer on standby when I'm not using it (or just turn it off), not turning my light on at all (I have a nice big view of my garden, and my house is always bright), not turning on appliances that I don't need and flicking the switch on my TV and computer when I'm not using it.

That's my part to save the environment.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tech_support View Post
    I don't personally like energy-efficent light bulbs. They strain my eyes too much and they're not bright enough.
    That's my part to save the environment.
    That's the thing though- try the GE 100 watt CF light. I was amazed- it was very bright, and with that familiar yellowish tone. No one that came into my room could even tell it's CF. But it only consumes 26 watts of energy. Maybe the ones you've tried gave you problems, but I highly recommend the GE 100 watt one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Last year, I replaced the overhead bulbs in my room, and was surprised at how much brighter they were. I also replaced my reading light, maybe earlier last year, or maybe even 2005. That was nice, AND I haven't had to replace any of the three yet

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddadmin
    even skip a few toilet flushes daily to save water. It's quite addictive I must say.
    Have you tried putting a bottle halfway-full with water in your toilet tank? That usually helps.