Thread: My First Table

Thanks

Default My First Table

Hi all,

I'm doing my first MySQL table and wanted some opinions on the best and cleanest way to do it. It's a table which is going to have information about competitions. So I have named the following columns, is my naming ok? Would any of you have done it differently?

comp_id INT PRIMARY KEY
    comp_name VARCHAR
    comp_description VARCHAR
    comp_prizes VARCHAR
    comp_codes VARCHAR
    comp_start DATE
    comp_end DATE

Any opions/ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

I just all depends on what it is you are using the above for. I like keeping my column names simple (and easy for me to remember), but also to where I still know what they are going to be used for. Very similar to what you have above is probably the way I would go about creating the database. The only thing that I see above that would be a problem (and I assume you editted these out for easier readability), VARCHAR would need to have the value/length value. And also the comp_id (unless you will be manually updating the id everytime you add info to the db), you may want to set it to auto_increment.

Example:
    Code:
    comp_id INT(5) auto_increment PRIMARY KEY
    comp_name VARCHAR(200)
    Other than that; as said above, it all depends on the use for the database that the structure should be based upon.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

I use the TEXT keyword for long arguments as well.
    - Mike

Thanks

If anyone can give me an opinion as I've never made my own table before...

So basically the competition would have a Name, Description, Main Prizes, Consellation Prizes, Start Date and End Date. Also their might be 10 Main Prizes and 20 Consellation prizes, so there would be numerous codes, that could mean a competition entrant is a winner... Could someone have a look at the tables I've planned out, they don't seem 100% correct... I can't work out the linkage...

tblcompetitions
    -------------------------
    ID
    comp_Name
    Description
    comp_Prizes
    comp_Codes
    StartDate
    EndDate

tblcodes
    ID
    comp_Name
    MainPrizeCodes
    ConsellationPrizeCodes

tblprizes
    ID
    comp_Name
    MainPrize
    MainPrizeValue
    ConsellationPrizes
    ConsellationPrizesValue

Thanks

Hey tomyknoker can you explain what you are trying to achieve with these tables then can offer you more help anyway your latest table structures looks non optimized ones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by codeexploiter View Post
    Hey tomyknoker can you explain what you are trying to achieve with these tables then can offer you more help anyway your latest table structures looks non optimized ones.
    Ok well basically I want to be able through a php page which I'll set up be shown competitions that I am running at any given time. From the start say I am beginning my first ever competition the key elements would be:

> Competition Name
    > Competition Description
    > Prizes For The Competition & Their Respective Prize Codes
    > Competition Start & End Date

There would usually be maybe 5 major prizes (different for each comp) and then a whole lot of consellation prizes (also different for each comp). People would enter a prize code they received, and it would relate to one of the prize codes in the db... They could be a winner of a major prize, consellation prize or simply not a winner... So this is where I get confused about how many tables I should have and what links to make... Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated!