Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which is the best free software to open torrent file

Thanks

Default which is the best free software to open torrent file

Does anyone know which is the best free sofrware to open torrent file?
    I tried using UTORRENT but the loading just didn't work-status shows "loading" but the done percent stay stagnant at 0%

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Well, I personally use bitTorrent. Then again, the percent done will stay stagnant at 0% if there are no seeders (or at least no peers) for the upload of the torrent file you are trying to download.

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Thanks for your prompt response.
    I am totally new to this. Does it mean that there will be no way to open the torrent files if there are no seeders (no peers)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joycie View Post
    Does it mean that there will be no way to open the torrent files if there are no seeders (no peers)?
    It depends on the download, but if it is a single file in the torrent then you will not be able to open it (the file that is) until the download percent is 100%. Other than that, you would have to wait until someone seeds the torrent (which will make the percentage go up).

Hope this helps.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Torrents are a way of using many users' computers to send data back and forth. You upload; you download; everyone ends up with the full file.
    The number of users you are connected to allows faster transfer in that each person can upload different parts at one time to you, then you can, in the end, have all of the chunks... the full file.
    A seeder is one that has the entire file, so you would generally need the whole file to.... er... end up with the whole file
    It might be theoretically possible if you were to try to download if everyone (in the group connected through the torrent) combined had the full data from the file, even if it was in different chunks. Spread those chunks around, and you end up with the full file. However, there is certainly no guarantee without a seeder that you have the full file even with all of the data from everyone's computer.

Generally, the more people you are connected to, the faster it will go, the more stable the connection will be, and, overall, the better the torrent will go, as well as being more stable as frequently individuals disconnect (when they are done, or just pause if they disconnect from the internet or shut off the computer), so you will continuously have at least one peer, even if you don't have all of the peers you started with. Additionally, the more users there are and more stable the torrent is, the more likely it will be that people will join in, so you will keep getting more people.

Think of a torrent as a very large stack of wood. Each person has a truck and wants to fill it with wood. They go to the large stack and everyone, in some strange perfect world, helps, to fill their trucks. Once the trucks are filled, they leave. This mirrors a torrent. You're trying to get something from a main source, you get more help from more people, the more help there is the more popular the torrent is, etc.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

The torrent file is 1.38GB.
    I left utorrent on while away and 7 hours later, only 0.2&#37; was downloaded with no seeds 0(0) and peers 0(4). SOB!

Look like I'll have to give up.

Edit~
    hURRAY, I have just checked and found 2 files have already been downloaded ~
    it's the Global Warming movie with Chinese Subtitles that I wanted to share with friends who do not understand English. Could not find one with chinese subtitles here.
    1) An.Inconvenient.Truth.2006.DVDRip.X264.iNT-TLF.cd1.mkv
    2) An.Inconvenient.Truth.2006.DVDRip.X264.iNT-TLF.cd2.mkv

Now I'll have to google and see how to convert and make into a DVD!
    Last edited by joycie; 03-29-2007 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks

I had Ares Lite, and got a virus off of it, so I got rid of it. Then I got LimeWire, which I don't use anyone because it doesn't show the number of users/peers uploading/downloading the file. I might switch to bitTorrent, but I haven't been downloading anything much lately.
    - Mike

Thanks

The torrent file is 1.38GB.
    Check to see if you have the much room on your harddrive first...
    Also, what connection (LAN, Digital, Cabel/DSL) are you on?
    - Mike

Thanks

My D drIve still has 29.2GB free space and I am on DSL.Thanks for your reminder.

Utorrent now shows peers 1(4) and 1% downloaded at the moment.

Thanks

Could someone advise which is the best freeware to convert mkv file for burning into a DVD? I googled and found quite a number but do not know which one is safe to choose which yield a good result.
    Many thanks.