Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Firefox!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pissa View Post
    its not that they dont take time... its that IE comes installed on their computer, and alot of people are hesitent about downloading software that they do not "need"... even though having a browser that is more standards compliant is something they do NEED
    it is what i was saying. it is already there so they do not bother. not unless they do business or are computer geeks like a lot of us here. no offense to anyone. But then. Windows did the same thing with office. if browsers weren't free, windows wouldn't have ie still

Thanks

yes every browser has their own capabilities, but what makes the web so unique to any other publishing forum is that it does not have the restrictions that others do... eg if you wrote an article and went up to a newpaper and asked if you could publish it... however there were spelling errors and the entire paper was 1 paragraph when it should have been 3/4 what do you think the newpaper is going to say? ... no thanks .... right? well while all browsers have differences there needs to be a common GUIDELINE on how to do stuff... which is what IE is fighting against... yes the filters in IE are neat, but that still doesn't mean that the entire structure and processing of the data should be "tossed" / "crinkled" up because of 1 extra additive feature?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Many users aren't even aware that there are browsers other than IE. One of the best things Firefox has done is that it's changing that.

IE's filters aren't really IE's. All IE does is provide hooks to various DirectX features. For reasons of platform compatibility, other browsers don't do that, but Microsoft doesn't care if their browser doesn't run on any other platforms.
    For example in IE you could do so many things that I think other browsers can not do,

eg filters, (some other thing that allows you to create microsoft office powperpoint style animations), and some other stuff I can not remember...
    But nothing really useful, just eye-candy and incompatible versions of things other things already have. In my opinion, IE's best feature is its conditional comments, since they can be used to get around most of its bugs in a relatively elegant manner.

pissa is completely right about the "guidelines." That's the purpose of the Web. Just as you and I are communicating because we both understand the rules of a certain language (written English), so browsers communicate because they all understand the rules of HTML, DOM, &c. If I invent a new word, say "hargfardl," then you have no idea what I mean, and a breakdown of communication ensues. If I explain what it means, you have two options: you can remember its meaning and relate that to it next time I use it, or you can declare it a nonsense word and refuse to parse it, which may at times result in the meaning of my communication and your perception of the meaning of your connection differing. However, if the word "hargfardl" refers to a complex philosophical principle that makes sense only within my worldview, no matter how much I explain it to you you will still fail to comprehend it, or at least it will take a great deal of effort for you to attempt to figure out my entire worldview so it makes sense. This is what IE does with things like filters.
    On the other hand, if I were to simply redefine a word, such as using "flurbs" to refer to pigs, it would simply take more effort for you to remember that "flurb" meant a pig, but there'd really be no point in doing so, since a word is already defined in English for that and everyone who speaks English understands it.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Well Twey it seems you have beeten me again at something , but for now and a long time I think I will stick to IE (i'm pretty sure that IE will go far along with other browsers and one day they all will be around perfect )

As you can see my mind will simply not change
    (any way there are so many ways to comabt any problem ...)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paleopterix View Post
    But what does that crappy Firefox (and probably many other "w3c" compatible browsers)?
    IE's CSS height works the same as w3c's min-height...
    w3c is in charge of setting the standard for (browser interpretted)web development, So without them IE wouldn't have any html to screw around with. Standards arent stupid, they define how things are interpretted. twey is right, you cant make "pig" actually mean "cow" and expect people to undertand you.

But if you want them to work exactly the same, use overflow:scroll;

And pages look better in IE because of their over-zelous (hope the context is right) error correction. if i could get a slimmed down browser without any error correction, id be happy.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

IE's CSS height works the same as w3c's min-height...
    And that's irritating, but not really a problem. The problem is that IE has nothing that functions like the W3C's height
    And pages look better in IE because of their over-zelous (hope the context is right) error correction.
    Pages designed for IE look better in IE. Pages designed for anything else tend to look rubbish, if they fall foul of even one of IE's many bugs.
    if i could get a slimmed down browser without any error correction, id be happy.
    It would be almost completely useless on the Web of today
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

i mean to use it for design purposes, not general browsing.

if there arent any errors in my code, then it would look more or less the same in every browser. (other than a few CSS flaws, those cant be helped...)
    And any bugs i come across in other browsers would be easy to work out... (i hope)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Only in acceptably compliant browsers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    ... but Microsoft doesn't care if their browser doesn't run on any other platforms.
    Not just their browsers, Bill Gates doesn't give a hoot if any of his products run on anything but windows.

Thanks

He just wants to make money, like all corporations...
    Its why i favor open source development and creative commons/gnu type licences.
    But Isn't IE available for mac also?