Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Firefox!!!

Thanks

Netscape uses the Internet Explorer/FireFox rendering engine anyway.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

IE uses a mosaic rendering engine, mozzilla uses gecko.
    netscape was based off mosaic for a while but has recently switched over to mozzilla, then firefox, and now i beleive its an origanal rendering engine...
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

No, it uses both Gecko and Trident (Mosaic was the name of the browser IE used to be, not a rendering engine). It offers options to switch between them.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Default Firefox is a piece of useless CRAP

Yes, I think Firefox is a worthless piece of crap. What you have against IE probably lies in some instinctual adversity towards a greedy company like micros0ft, but not in the browser itself. Why Firefox is crap? One example of stupidity: take a <div> with a certain fixed height and place some large text inside. IE will redimension the div to fit all the text (although they say this is not "standard"(=STUPID) behaviour). You can anyway tell it not to do it, putting an overflow:hidden in the style. But what does that crappy Firefox (and probably many other "w3c" compatible browsers)? it lets the text spill out of the div! What's the point in having a fixed div container then, if not for containing? Why putting the text inside it then ??????????? Why bother putting <div>s in the html for god's sake?
    Let me give a concrete problem: lets imagine i have to cut a large text to fit exactly in a certain rectangle. As there's no way of calculating the final height of a text, this could be done putting a word at a time in a <div>'s innerHTML and see when it overflows. This works wonderfully in IE, but in the stupid Firefox, the <div> never overflows! The text just flows out of it, like it was broken or something. Now, give me a viable solution to this problem using Firefox, and I'll take back all the nasty words I've written about it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What you have against IE probably lies in some instinctual adversity towards a greedy company like micros0ft, but not in the browser itself.
    Wrong. I dislike Microsoft, but tend to advise people to stay away from their products on technical rather than ethical grounds. Of these products, IE has to be one of the worst I've encountered, including Windows itself.
    Why Firefox is crap? One example of stupidity: take a <div> with a certain fixed height and place some large text inside. IE will redimension the div to fit all the text (although they say this is not "standard"(=STUPID) behaviour).
    Er, that's not stupidity, it's following the standards. You seem to miss the point of standards entirely. The standards are entirely correct here, too: this bug not only breaks compatibility with the standards and thus with all other browsers, thus making our lives far more difficult than they should be, but also completely breaks page layouts, as I discovered in only too much detail with my own site.
    I wished to have two <div>s, one with a navigation bar inside and one with the actual content, floated to the left. Their widths were specified in percentage sizes. Unfortunately, in IE, if the text in the navigation bar is too long, it doesn't just look kind of ugly like it does in more compliant browsers (which is bad, obviously, but still usable), it actually increases the width of the navigation bar and causes the content element to float-drop down, completely messing up the design of the page. My solution to this in the end was to have IE insert line-breaks in the middle of words if it needed to, but that's very ugly.
    Let me give a concrete problem: lets imagine i have to cut a large text to fit exactly in a certain rectangle. As there's no way of calculating the final height of a text, this could be done putting a word at a time in a <div>'s innerHTML and see when it overflows.
    "Cut" how, exactly? This shouldn't be necessary: the browser will insert line-breaks where necessary with
    Code:
    word-wrap: break-word;
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Quote:
    What you have against IE probably lies in some instinctual adversity towards a greedy company like micros0ft, but not in the browser itself.
    Wrong. I dislike Microsoft, but tend to advise people to stay away from their products on technical rather than ethical grounds. Of these products, IE has to be one of the worst I've encountered, including Windows itself.

Quote:
    Why Firefox is crap? One example of stupidity: take a <div> with a certain fixed height and place some large text inside. IE will redimension the div to fit all the text (although they say this is not "standard"(=STUPID) behaviour).
    Er, that's not stupidity, it's following the standards. You seem to miss the point of standards entirely. The standards are entirely correct here, too: this bug not only breaks compatibility with the standards and thus with all other browsers, thus making our lives far more difficult than they should be, but also completely breaks page layouts, as I discovered in only too much detail with my own site.

I could not have put it any better myself. Not that any of you care, but for the slim case that you might actually read this:

the web is still in its infancy. If you think about the standards that are in other types of publishing ... eg (books / magazines / newpapers etcetc) those all have a certain rule set that they need to be made by or follow.... while we all probably hated english in highschool (least I know it was my least favorite subject) the standards are there for everyones own good.... If there were no standards in publishing, or even spelling, could you read a sentence like?

la f am alnla to pw nl'w&#37; says hi, i am going to the store?

what was that? you couldn't decrypt it? oh yah my bad, i didnt give you the key. Oh and yah.... there really is not key. well that is what IE is doing to the web.

If you want to see the web grow and be successful then you BETTER be supporting the standards, and while IE does suck at support for them, Bill Gates is coming around...even if in very minute baby steps. Hopefully that as Gates and his colleagues will see that his "browser wars" mentality will die down some and he doesnt consistently try to re-invent the wheel and he starts supporting the standards, so that people can start designing correctly and those that cannot design correctly can LEARN! If you know HTML right now then its really NOT a huge step to jump into being standards compliant.

Why bother putting <div>s in the html for god's sake?
    I am guessing that you do all of your work in nested tables... and if thats the case then you are using up ALOT of extra storage space and also it slows down the browser from processing the information.
    People complain about slow loading times, then they do everything in nested tables ) well gee if you try to squeeze a square thru a round circle do you thinkits going to go easily? No.
    With standards and using structure like you are supposed to... eg HTML (Structure -- Content) CSS (Presentation -- Layout) and Javascript/Other Language (Dynamics - Some "Action") then you will find yourself that you have less code, less storage, faster loading time, and wow.... just as great if not better a look.
    Last edited by boogyman; 03-30-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mburt View Post
    ...I like FF because the extensions and customizability (a word?). I use IE only for testing purposes.
    I'll give word. I also only use IE for testing purposes because so many still use it just because it is easy to get to. not enough take the time to look for the other browsers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masterskinnie View Post
    I'll give word. I also only use IE for testing purposes because so many still use it just because it is easy to get to. not enough take the time to look for the other browsers
    its not that they dont take time... its that IE comes installed on their computer, and alot of people are hesitent about downloading software that they do not "need"... even though having a browser that is more standards compliant is something they do NEED

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paleopterix View Post
    ... One example of stupidity: take a <div> with a certain fixed height and place some large text inside. IE will redimension the div to fit all the text (although they say this is not "standard"(=STUPID) behaviour). You can anyway tell it not to do it, putting an overflow:hidden in the style. But what does that crappy Firefox (and probably many other "w3c" compatible browsers)? it lets the text spill out of the div!...
    okay, post the use of this fixed <div> in this forum for me to open and view. Maybe you are over exaggerating about it. i have never seen this problem. it always worked for me in firefox and screws up now and then in IE

Thanks

Well though I do agree on some of the things that were said here I simply think that every browser is good in it's own way that other browsers don't have...

For example in IE you could do so many things that I think other browsers can not do,

eg filters, (some other thing that allows you to create microsoft office powperpoint style animations), and some other stuff I can not remember...

But I can't say anything about any other browser seeing as how I have only experience with IE ....

But anyway before you can call anything crap or stupid you have to think about your own capabilities (eg if you can program that good) but at the same time if you are not good at programming and depend on someone else to upgrade then you have to also thing about othjer things (like if they have the time/or if they are busy, their priorities....)

So, I simply think that all browsers are good (because no browser is perfect or the best seeing as how every browser has something unique within itself)...

Please notice that this was rushed and may have missing words or letters...