Thread: Need help with Button Links

Thanks

Default Need help with Button Links

I'm not sure how to get some links for these buttons to work.

I have flash animation that I've been working on (attached). Right now the sounds are there to give some of our team an idea of what is possible. Also, this is a pretty stripped down version... the one I'm working on has more refined graphics, but is about 6M in size.

I want each button, when clicked, to go to a different URL.

Can someone assist me with making the links work without interfering with the animation? I've tried adding links as behaviors and as Actions, but I couldn't get things to work. Currently there are no links applied to the above.

I have a "stop" actionscript loaded in frame 20 to stop the animation. I'm afraid that this is interfering with any links that I add.

I am using Flash 8 to do this, but saving down to Flash 5; I'm concerned that people viewing the resultant animation might not have the latest version of flash (if at all).

Also, for some reason, when this Flash is loaded on our development server, I get an outline in IE that says, "Press SPACEBAR to activate and use this control". This doesn't happen on my site at home. Does anyone know a way around this?

Thanks,
    Dan

Thanks

Hello Danopoly...

I"m not sure about your links issue. I can't glean much from your description. I'll take a look at the .fla to see if I can help.

But in regards to the "outline" in IE...

A company (Eolas) sued Microsoft a while ago for copyright enfrignement on a patent they have some sort of automatic embedding functionality. The result of which is the, you're seeing the gray border around Flash.

There are several fixes though through javascript. On my pages I use the "UFO Script" by Bobby van der Sluis (http://www.bobbyvandersluis.com/ufo/). There are others too such as SWF Object Script by Geoff Streams (http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/). I'm sure there are others out there as well. Just utlize one of those and the gray box will appear.

I"m not sure why it's not happening with your home browser. Which version are you using?

Thanks

Thanks. I had heard about javascript workarounds for that. I'll try those.

I also think I'm probably using Firefox at home and haven't been checking the Flash files in IE. For the record, I'm on IE 7 at home, IE 6 at work.

Thanks,
    Dan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I had a look, unless I am missing the point you are trying to make you just need to put our links in the right spot. (In this case ON the buttons AT frame 20)

See attached for an example.

Also, for this particular movie there is no need to use buttons, especially with Flash 8, use MovieClips instead, as they can do more, and have button actions.

If you need an example of this, let me know.

Note the attached has getURL examples on the middle 3 buttons

<edit> Try this link for the active X fix. It is the ONLY one I have found that works in ALL browsers that support Flash </edit>
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Talking

Awesome! Thank you.

I was confused about where to put the "getURL" code and when I did, it was opening up multiple windows. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again... I'll be studying the javascript link you supplied. I tried to get it to work just now, but haven't had immediate success in ridding myself of the IE issue. With regards to that, this flash version that is loaded on my own site works for me in IE... without any need to click on the Flash move.

http://www.danspeziale.com/fox/fox_m...services3.html

Dan

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Glad it helps.

If you need further help with the activeX thing let me know. It can be confusing at first, but once you have it done once it will be a piece of cake.

As far as having it on your local machine, I really don't have an answer, except that you have already given permission for this to run. I have never once seen that control block on any of my personal movies either, but I know they are there, so the fix is needed
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result