Thread: resizing videos for websites

Thanks

Default resizing videos for websites

I have some huuuge avi and mov files.

I need to convert them to a smaller size so that they are about 1000 times smaller in file size

Does anyone know of any good FREE program to do this (im not having much luck in my hunting around) to either avi or mov files (or both?) and can rescale permently by %?

I thought quicktime or media player would have this option, but it doesnt look like it from what i can tell

thanks!
    Last edited by shabam; 11-27-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks

To compress movies, you need a video editor that can export.

For $30, you can have QT pro, which is a very good compressor for QT files. I use it for my video work and I think it's very nice. Especially for $30. (Note that this is just an upgrade from QT, so there's nothing much added, but the export options are great... lots of options, lots of formats, and works well.)

Windows Movie Maker should be able to export avi/wmv at different formats. Not too sure about this, though, as I use a mac for most of my editing.
    (iMovie is the mac version of this, and it is nice for exporting QT files, but you need to have a mac to use it... it comes free with the OS.)

A great freeware application that can read AVI/WMV and QT (I think) and export AVI/WMV is called "Zwei-Stein" and it's a standalone editor (wtih a lot of features including greenscreening, etc.) and exports pretty well, especially considering the price.

There are of course more expensive video editors out there, but no need for those in this case.

Hope this helps. If not, give me more details, and I'll make a better suggestion.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Exclamation I Know!

I would just use some of that software that you get free with your computer when you buy it, and then just lower the bit rate.

Thanks

Here is the best way dude. AND IT'S TOTALLY FREE!

1. Open up Windows Movie Maker (Start > Programs > Windows Movie Maker)
    2. Select your video on your PC
    3. Once it's imported, drag it to the timeline
    4. Click: File > Save Movie File (Cntrl+P)
    5. Save it on your desktop, or wherever

That's it. It is not a .wmv that is a considerable lot smaller than a .avi (for me I divide it by about 10 times smaller!).
    Don't think this will work with the .mov's though.

Thanks

Maybe, but there are disadvantages to .wmv, especially in compatibility, as it is proprietary.

And, no, won't work for .mov
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I use Sony Vegas, costly but cant be beaten in a features and ease of use point of view. If you send me the file, tell me what sort of size (in mb) you want it and i'll send you back a smaller file

Thanks

I use Sony Vegas, costly but cant be beaten in a features and ease of use point of view.
    Quite debatable. I prefer QT pro over any NLE for resizing, though for an NLE for that type of work I use FCP.