Advanced Search

Thread: Help with whatever this Win 2K problem is...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Help with whatever this Win 2K problem is...

Okay have a computer running Win 2K pro. There is some sort of problem with the MBR (probable guess here) and I do not have the original install disk.

First problem I don't know the manufacturer of the computer (i.e. Dell, HP, etc) as the shell has long been replaced.

What it's doing: Turn on and it loads up, get the black screen with the white "Windows is loading" and the white progress bar. This goes to 100% then the Windows 2K splash screen with the blue gradient progress bar. The bar moves, then stops, then moves, then stops, and this goes on for quite some time.

Eventually, the computer self-restarts. I have tried last known good config, start in safe mode, all to no avail. Research has led me to a corrupt MBR file.

Now, ideally, I would like the thing to come back on and work (with some diagnosis, or at least to what lead to the problem), but I will settle for a one time load, so I can get needed files.

I would like to NOT have to remove the harddrive and connect to another computer, as that is such a hassle and with password protected read-only files, you know how that goes.

What are my options here, anyone know?
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

There's nothing you can do if you don't have the CD. W2K is corrupt.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What about making a boot disk? I can download those from the internet... But will those give me the option to fixmbr?

<EDIT> Thanks codeex.. I will look into that... I know I can get to the console somehow, just having a bugger of a time thinking how <?EDIT>
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Use any Win2K install CD. You could even download one from the internet -- I believe it's legal if you don't intend to use it to install.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks Twey, I couldn't find one (working) that I could download. Do you suppose that boot disk would get the job done?
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's possible. Depends exactly where the damage is. Personally, I don't think it's in the MBR, since the loading screen with the blue bar is (if I remember correctly) part of the Windows bootup process, not the bootloader's. I suspect your boot config is corrupt.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

hmmm. boot config... well maybe I will just pull the HD and get the files needed, then make the boss buy a new drive

Will see what shakes when she gets here.
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result