38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows XP

33 86.84%
  • Windows Vista

5 13.16%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Vs. Vista

Thanks

For now xp much more reliable unless you had a processor that support vista for application maximize.

Thanks

Lol- the first time i heard of vista i went over excited and i couldn't stop spreading the news about it and slowly as time passed i starting actually fearing going to vista i am probably get it in summer or sumthing...

Thanks

I'm not getting it period... apparently most of the upgrades are only aesthetic (visual). As soon as I get another harddrive I'm getting Linux... probably Kubuntu, but I'm not sure yet.
    - Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised I just noticed this thread so, I may be repeating what others have said. I just voted for XP. I would qualify that by saying Vista may be the most appropriate Windows OS in certain individual situations/group settings.

However, due to hardware requirements and software limitations (MS own applications are not all fully Vista friendly yet), in most cases it would be best to wait. I get the impression that Vista, being so new, is a bit like Windows itself was at first - buggier than a swamp. Let MS get over itself on this one and chill a bit on the hype, get the kinks worked out and then, if you have the hardware - go for it if you are so inclined.

I'm thinking this may take MS more than a few months to deal with so, waiting until summer may be a bit optimistic. There are always other decent OS's out there. Windows is not the only game in town.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I don't it is nessasary to upgrade if current computer and system can meet your needs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't it is nessasary to upgrade if current computer and system can meet your needs.
    Unfortunately, in the Microsoft world, that's not always true. For example, I'm fairly sure Office 13 will run only on Windows Vista, and that its default file format will be unreadable by any previous versions of Office (and the layouts of files in their formats will probably be mangled when loaded with Office 13).
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I wouldn't switch to Vista until they come out with a service pack which fixes most of the bugs. I would rather use something that works rather than using something that is filled with bugs.

PS:
    Quote Originally Posted by mburt View Post
    As soon as I get another harddrive I'm getting Linux... probably Kubuntu, but I'm not sure yet.
    Same with me, except I am an ubuntu person.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Service Pack? But Vista is "The most secure OS ever" - Bill Gates

ROTF!

Anyway, long discussion, many times over on this forum. Vista is a no go for those who know anything about computers. (I just ordered an Alienware laptop and had to pay EXTRA to get XP instead of vista!)

Vista and MS have tricked the masses once again, and the confusion starts with the computer hardware. If your computer is marked "Vista Capable" it means it is NOT ready for Vista, but with some upgrades it will hold it. "Vista Ready" means it contains minimum specs to run Vista.

I wouldn't get Vista (ever) until you have a computer that can not only hold Vista, but Run everything about the upgraded system as well.

This means a high end (possibly dual) graphics card(s) - Nvidia minimum. 4 GIG RAM, most applications will take at leas 3 to run good. MS wants 4 gig to run all apps smoothly. the 1 gig mention means Vista will boot and run applications. If you only have 1 gig, prepare for Vista running and opening apps like win95.

You will also need SATA HDs running 7200 rpm, not 5400. dual core processors, and a max of 4 PCI slots full. Any more and you will max your cachedRAM.

Besides MS announced it is going to release upgrades/updates/programs and support for XP for at least the next 7 years.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

I'm holding off on Vista...

Thanks

I've sworn off MS entirely. But im torn on the 360...
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.