• Windows XP

33 86.84%
  • Windows Vista

5 13.16%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Vs. Vista

Thanks

Exclamation Windows XP Vs. Vista

I was wondering if i should upgrade to vista? But my PC is running XP and there is nothing wrong wiith it! So what is so good about Vista anyway, Well it must good, it took the guys at microsoft 6 years to make! So do you think I should upgrade to vista?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I have the same battle at work with my boss. She wants to upgrade and I am telling her no.

Besides Vista isn't fully supported yet by all companies that do things for MS (i.e. virus protection, DirectX compatibility, etc etc) you must make sure your machine can even run it.

They are asking for minimum specs to be 1 gig RAM, but you really should have at least 2 gig, 4 gig looking more and more like it should be the minimum, A graphics card equal to the latest VooDoo model, and other expensive hardware.

And yet MS is still fully supporting, upgrading and backing Win XP for at least the next 7 years.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you really want to upgrade, I would at least wait til the first or second major service pack release.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

At work, we are trying to put out a memo saying that we do not support Vista (at least until SP 2 comes out). So far, we have had problems with setting up Wireless Connections, Dial up connections, etc on Vista. Then, the customer blames us for not having it fixed yet.

*stops rambling*

Anyways, it's more of a matter of opinion whether or not you should upgrade. Just keep in mind what Blizzard said about getting a machine that can run it.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks

Wink

I know my machine can run it, my laptop can also run it because they have both got Windows Vsita Capaple On them.

My Desktop is a Compaq Presario (dunno which model) And my lapop is a Toshiba M70.

Thanks

Vista does include one thing that is soon going to be almost necessary, Directx10, Direct x 10 though will not have much to do with anything unless you buy one of nvidias new 8800's or 8800gx (768mb video card) at which point vista would cause graphical destruction (in a good way) to everything you do. With new games coming out saying they are built for directx 10 without it you'll probably get left in the dust, as for the 4gb of ram, maybe, but not quite yet, 2gb will fullfill the needs quite easily. You will want to wait a little while, but you arent going to lose a whole lot by getting it if you have the money to spare, for business purposes i dont think vista is ready yet, but for home entertainment its about to revolutionize the market, take your pick.

PS
    So far, we have had problems with setting up Wireless Connections, Dial up connections, etc on Vista. Then, the customer blames us for not having it fixed yet.
    I dont know many people that should be setting up dial up connections on windows vista, what a bunch of rednecks

PS 2 : whats good about vista? more built in features, : improvements to standard windows programs all the way down to microsoft paint, along with windows movie maker also seeing durastic improvements, : cool desktop features like pc monitoring and little memos (i could use some of those) supposedly better security (which im sure they've been getting a truckload of complaints about) : DirectX 10 (see above) : straight up better looking : improved performance of your computer : better rationing of computer hardware properties : faster disk defragmentation ( dont know if this matters to you ) : better multi-screen support (also dont know if this matters to you) : Improved overall computer control (more customizable options)

Reasons not to : your hardware is outdated and will not run it, or vista will not support the kinds of programs you are using or the work you are doing, along with lack of drivers for hardware (windows vista comes with a "rater" that tells you how many stars out of 10 they think your computer is for running windows vista)
    General problems that microsoft will not fix until Service pack 2 like they said before. such as security problems or drivers for hardware or software (business or games) : example : call of duty games do not have sound on windows vista due to lack of support : problem (fixed) with turbo tax for miscoded calculations :

If you can tell me what you use your computer for and what its stats are (processor, ram, video card) i can tell you whether or not it would be a good idea. your situation refines the ideals or problems with vista, most likely the people on these forums will not support it because they are conservative <3 dynamic drive

PS#3: blizzard what do you mean the latest voodoo model, voodoo is a computer company (now owned by HP) that makes computers, Nvidia and Ati are the only ones making the chipsets . care to elaborate? ::: maybe you meant to say the latest Nvidia model, with their new directx 10 hardware meant to work hand in hand with vista (leaving Ps3 , xbox360, and Wii in the graphical dust)
    Last edited by Merciless; 02-21-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Merciless View Post
    I dont know many people that should be setting up dial up connections on windows vista, what a bunch of rednecks
    It's mostly older, retired customers that use the dialup. (Because the high speed DSL is from the devil)

Anyway, a lot of those above mentioned people are the ones that call about "how do I turn this computer on?" and "I can't play my freecell, is your server down?" Stuff like that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hahaha

Before making a decision to "buy" Vista based on its fitness as a media centre, one would do well to read Peter Gutmann's now-famous A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

VooDoo Graphics Cards

Nvida took over 3dFx's intellectual rights, put their inferior sets on the VooDOO name, dropped the price, and all the hard core gamers got pissed. The product was yet another Nvida slack off attempt at trying to reach the serious gaming market.

If you try real hard you can still get a VooDoo Card (a real one) which is far superior to anything ATI or the parent Nvida i putting out.

Back to the issue though...

Having a machine that is "Vista Capable" merely means that it is upgradeable to Vista requirements. What you want to look for is one marked "Vista Ready"

Hope it helps
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I already upgraded.

Thanks

I am afraid that Vista has many problems.