Thread: Error help me

Thanks

Default Error help me

Hello everyone,

Iam new here and need help. I sell a script that requires shell exec
    and a customer's error is this:

You don't have 'shell_exec' support in PHP, please check your PHP installation. This function is required.
    PHP Code:
    Warningshell_exec() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/talkin/public_html/wpm/setup.php on line 319
    Failed to 
    use 'shell_exec' in PHPPlease contact your hosting.
    Command was:
    { echo 
    && echo $?; } 2>&
    Output

2 fatal error(s), can't continue. 
    ===========

Is there a workaround for this? Since his hosting will not
    allow this.?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Nope, no way around it except to get the host to allow it.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

i see any more info?

Thanks

Most web hosters these days disable it anyways: shell_exec() could create potentially dangerous scripts. If a user is using Windows a command could wipe out the entire C drive.
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

any more info?
    Not really. It's disabled in php.ini. There is no way around this (or there would be no point in disabling it, now would there?). It should have been considered when you drew up a list of requirements for your application; since it wasn't, you're pretty much obliged to give this customer a refund.

When you're redrafting that list of requirements, you should also mention that it requires the server not be in safe mode.

Of course, depending on what you're doing with shell_exec(), it's possible that there's a pure PHP way of doing it. Since you said it "requires" shell_exec(), I presume you've already tried this.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Another thing that you could try is talking to your client's webhosting provider. I know in some cases, if you actually show them that there is no harm in the program/scripting for using shell_exec, they could work out something with you or your client. Then again, not sure as every webhost is different.

One other thing (that I just thought of); only if the above doesn't work, have the client either purchase a server to run this program on. Or set up your own server and instead of charging for the program, charge for the usage of the server itself.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by thetestingsite; 02-24-2007 at 06:34 PM.