Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [DHTML] Modified Bookmark Site script

Thanks
    Thanked 3,198 Times in 3,160 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chornee View Post
    I dont think people want it to do nothing the question was more if there is any way possible for it to work correctly. But it doesnt look like there is.

O well, I dont see why the only way to do it in Firefox is in the sidebar, thats just stupid.
    What people?
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

The other people on this thread that posted the same questions. ANd probably every other person who has a bookmark this site button and it doesnt work in Firefox

Thanks
    Blog Entries

The other people on this thread that posted the same questions. ANd probably every other person who has a bookmark this site button and it doesnt work in Firefox
    I have little sympathy. FF, as well as other browsers are perfectly capable of bookmarking sites. If someone wants to bookmark a site, they will do it themselves.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

That wasnt the question hah. The question is how to do it, not why you wouldnt care if it can be done. A Bookmark us button is something thats there to kinda remind and encourage users to click it to add to favorites. Obviously there are other ways to do it.

Well if anyone ever finds a way to actually accomplish this please post.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

That wasnt the question hah. The question is how to do it, not why you wouldnt care if it can be done. A Bookmark us button is something thats there to kinda remind and encourage users to click it to add to favorites. Obviously there are other ways to do it.

Well if anyone ever finds a way to actually accomplish this please post.
    I did address the question of yours that I initially responded to:

Quote Originally Posted by chornee
    makes it worse than it not working in Firefox

Anyone got any ideas on a work around for this ?
    I believe my reasoning on being unenthusiastic about the script's objectives to be very sound.

As far as I know, which is considerable in this area - though I am always willing to learn more, there is no other way to javascript a bookmark in FF.
    - John

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Default Bookmarking script

Catherina (Schatana) asked a question about the bookmarking script, that puts the bookmarked pages in the sidepanel (FF).

Perhaps I found some sort of solution (for frame sites). On my (frame) sites, I put a very visible bookmark button in top.html. When the user clicks on the button, the URL in the address bar is forced to adapt itself to the name of the main frame's page that the user is actually viewing. After that, an alert tells the user what to do, depending on the browser: CTRL + D, or ALT + F, etc.

There is a demo here.

(I didn't start that thread for the sake of bookmarking, but to show that you can have layers on top of a frameset).

Arie Molendijk.

Thanks

This is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for...

One question - other browsers - Safari, for example. What happens there?

Thanks

That rocks!

I think u should check google first like http://www.google.com.ng/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=
    If you are still havin problems, lemme know - the script is quite easy, but if u do not understand it - u may still hav problems.
    If u still have problems, describe to me precisely wat u need so i can modify my own script for you - i have a lot of resizin scripts for various purposes.
    Last edited by jscheuer1; 01-24-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: only one post required

Thanks

Have just put this script into use on http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/

Works ok in IE but there is a quirk in Firefox. Initially the link does not work but it does kick in once the user has run their mouse over the links in the navigation panel! The user doesn't have to select anything, just run the mouse over the area.

Any thoughts anyone?

John