Thread: Email Riddler and Homestead

Thanks

Default Email Riddler and Homestead

1) Script Title: Email Riddler

2) Script URL (on DD): http://www.dynamicdrive.com/emailriddler/

3) Describe problem:
    On inserting the email riddler code into homestead.com LPX Site Builder page I get a warning pop up saying:

CDATA Sections are not allowed on Site Builder pages. Please remove any instances of characters “]]>” from your html code.

So if I remove the /*<![CDATA[<*/ /*]]>*/ from the code is it still going to work correctly?

Thanks

It Wont Affect your JS proformance at all, except the cdata blocks prevent the code from being displayed in the body when the browser a user is on doesn't support javascript.

there fine to take out, i think they've been deprecated.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

boxxertrumps

Thanks for your reply, I'll have to take them out to enable me to use the script on my site.

Does this mean that if a browser has the java script turned off they will not be able to use the the link to email me?

Regards Jonnyray

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 993 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify, the CDATA comments are used to help an inline JavaScript validate. If you're not concerned about this you can definitely remove them without recourse. I think what boxxertrump was talking about was JavaScript comments, which is not the same here.

The nature of this script being JavaScript means, yes, if the user has disabled JavaScript, your email link won't work. I've been contemplating including in the output code a plain text version of the email, but the problem figuring out how far to go so that spam bots can't pick up on that text while still maintaining legibility.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here's my encryptor that hasn't failed me yet. It generates output that you can paste right into an HTML page and that doesn't require javascript on the part of your users. Javascript is required to operate the encryptor though:

http://home.comcast.net/~ansiguy/emailen1.htm
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

I have tried to use that encryption but failed miserably, I just cannot get it right.

The DD script is at least a finished product even though it doesn’t quite work on my website builder without a small tweak

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyray View Post
    I have tried to use that encryption but failed miserably, I just cannot get it right.

The DD script is at least a finished product even though it doesn’t quite work on my website builder without a small tweak
    Well, it is a finished product. You take the output and place it:

Code:
    <a href="here">text or image tag that users see</a>
    or wherever a:

Code:
    mailto:someone@someaddress.com
    value is required. Example:

Code:
    <a href="&#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;&#58;%73%6f%6d%65%6f%6e%65%40%73%6f%6d%65%61%64%64%72%65%73%73%2e%63%6f%6d">text or image tag that users see</a>
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Thumbs up

Thanks for your post, with your help and a lot of mistakes I got there in the end.

This is not a correct email address but this is how I eventually got it to work

<a href="mailto:&#37;63%6f%6e%74%61%63%74%40%66%72%65%64%62%79%6c%6f%67%73%73%2e%63%6f%6d?subject=Info on logs" font style="font-size: 10pt; font-family:arial">contact logs</a></font>

Cheers Paul