Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winamp for Linux

Thanks

Default Winamp for Linux

Is there a Winamp like media player (or something similar) for XUbuntu (spelling?). If not, what would you recommend (if anything) for it.

Thanks in advance.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

So I'm assuming WinAmp doesn't work...
    Umm, Adobe Audition (more of an editing program, but you can still listen to music and watch video, etc), RealPlayer. They probably only work for Windows though, I don't know.
    - Mike

Thanks
    Blog Entries

{CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've no idea what WinAmp's interface is like, but I use Amarok and it works beautifully

A Linux version of WinAmp does actually exist, but it seems to be stuck at alpha 1, so I guess it was started and then someone gave up.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

So the only thing that I needed to do was install gstreamer-mad (the mpeg decoder I believe.) Then, I was able to listen to my shoutcast stream. Anyways, thanks for the advice on Media Players.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    I've no idea what WinAmp's interface is like, but I use Amarok and it works beautifully

A Linux version of WinAmp does actually exist, but it seems to be stuck at alpha 1, so I guess it was started and then someone gave up.
    It will take time for more users to convert to Linux, but at the time seems like Apple is doing better at converting the average users more than linux is, even though winamp is very popular I don't think they'll be releasing a fully stable version for linux soon

Thanks

one word XMMS

Thanks
    Blog Entries

XMMS is no longer developed. It forked into Audacious then died. Audacious, in turn, forked into BMP, mentioned above.
    even though winamp is very popular I don't think they'll be releasing a fully stable version for linux soon
    I doubt most Linux users would use it anyway -- it's closed-source.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Hey Twey, do you use Amarok to listen to mp3/mpeg files (not sure what exactly shoutcast uses for it's streams)? If so, how did you get it to work?

Even after I installed gstreamer and all of its dependencies (spelling is off, I know), it still would only work with ogg files. Is it maybe something I am doing wrong with the settings or something?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Due to licensing problems, some distributions don't include MP3 codecs. You may have to install a package from an unofficial repository to get MP3 working.
    dependencies (spelling is off, I know)
    Nope, spot on