Thread: Hello! Help request.

Thanks

Default Hello! Help request.

Hello,
    I just joined and I'm delighted to be here. Thank you very much indeed for this opportunity.

Java is quite fascinating but I don't know much about it despite having utilised scripts on my web pages.

I'm seeking assistance in obtaining a simple script for affiliate tracking banners. Not necessarily a program just a simple way of tracking via my created banner graphics.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thank you ever so much. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

UK

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Java is quite fascinating but I don't know much about it despite having utilised scripts on my web pages.
    It sounds like you're confusing Java and Javascript, for a start
    I'm seeking assistance in obtaining a simple script for affiliate tracking banners. Not necessarily a program just a simple way of tracking via my created banner graphics.
    And this can't be done by either -- it's necessary to use some form of server-side scripting. It's also possible to simply configure one's webserver to store the required details.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Smile Thank you and ???? Yes, I'm confused! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    It sounds like you're confusing Java and Javascript, for a start And this can't be done by either -- it's necessary to use some form of server-side scripting. It's also possible to simply configure one's webserver to store the required details.
    Hi Twey,
    Thank you very much indeed for your reply. I'm sorry but I'm not at all familiar with how to do these things nor the terminology you used. This is almost all "Greek" to me.

What is server-side scripting and how does one configure one's webserver to store the required details?

Thank you again for your valuable help and time which are sincerely appreciated.

Best Regards,

Anne

UK

Thanks

Server-side scripting is a scripting language which allows you to interact with the server: eg. submitted data between webpages, or setting up a database. Some common ones are PHP, ASP. Some programming languages are able to interact with databases too, like Perl, Ruby, etc.
    - Mike

Thanks

A server side scripting language is one that gets parsed by the server before being sent to the client's browser. PHP and ASP are just some examples of server side scripting. As for the data storage, you could use a database (MySQL, MS-SQL, etc) if your server was setup with these. Then again; with server side languages (or at least in PHP), you could use a flat (text) file database.

For more information on how to use PHP to insert data into a mysql database, check out this website:

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry Mike, posted same time.
    Last edited by thetestingsite; 01-27-2007 at 10:28 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Default Thank you, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by mburt View Post
    Server-side scripting is a scripting language which allows you to interact with the server: eg. submitted data between webpages, or setting up a database. Some common ones are PHP, ASP. Some programming languages are able to interact with databases too, like Perl, Ruby, etc.

Thank you, Mike, for your generous reply and help. I'll check into these as I do recognise the ones you mentioned.

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

UK

Thanks

Your best bet would be to go with PHP/MySql, fairly easy to learn.
    - Mike

Thanks

Default Thank you, "The Testing Site"

Quote Originally Posted by thetestingsite View Post
    A servier side scripting language is one that gets parsed by the server before being sent to the client's browser. PHP and ASP are just some examples of server side scripting. As for the data storage, you could use a database (MySQL, MS-SQL, etc) if your server was setup with these. Then again; with server side languages (or at least in PHP), you could use a flat (text) file database.

For more information on how to use PHP to insert data into a mysql database, check out this website:

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com

Hope this helps.

Hi,
    Thank you so much for your helpful information and consideration. Yes, I shall visit your web sites many times indubitably.

Thanks, again to everyone! I'm truly grateful for your help and kindness.

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

UK