Thread: I need to rotate a video file

Thanks

Default I need to rotate a video file

Is there a way to rotate a video file 90 degres clockwise? The camera was turned sideways when the video was taken. Any way to do this? Thanks, JF

Thanks

1. Yes. Use a video editing program. If you don't have one that is capable of this, then you could use QuickTime Pro ($30... see quicktime.com). In QT pro, it's a bit hard to find, but hit view>show video properties, then click on the video track (there will be at least a video track and a sound track, *maybe* more if it's layered, probably not), then click video options, then just rotate it. Then, using QT pro, you can save/export.

2. There is a problem, though... the aspect ratio of your footage is likely 4:3*, like what is on a TV. This isn't square. If you rotate it, since your eye is used to seeing a slightly wider image than tall, you will see a VERY stretched image vertically... but, yes, if it's filmed like that, then you'd want to rotate it.
    You could also use a video program (not QT pro in this case) to zoom it in and crop so it's again 4:3 or another size. You'd lose some quality, though.
    *your footage might be 16:9 if you're shooting widescreen, but that's just more of a problem, since that's almost 2:1... very tall image, indeed, when rotated
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Hey, just use Windows Movie Maker or something. If you need to save it in something other than *.wmv, however, try downloading Fraps 2.7.4 for $20 US. It's cool, and it records framerate-based windows, not just overlaying an FPS counter, but allowing you to take screenshots of windows and recording game video. It saves in (I believe) *.mov or *.avi . Just import the clip into Windows Movie Maker, go to Video Effects, click 'angled 90 degrees' or something like that, export it as wmv, play the wmv, and use Fraps to record it. If you download the free version, however, it will only allow 30-sec, watermarked clips.

Hope I was of some help. It feels good to be back on here again.

Thanks

Hi,

I know I'm a bit late (I'm always...) but if this can help...
    I wrote a "How to" rotate videos...

http://perso.orange.fr/cedric.boudin...atevideos.html

Ciao

Thanks

Not a bad tutorial. Good programs mentioned as well.

I will note that the design has problems... the blue on the edges gives me a headache trying to read the text. The text is also so huge that it's almost silly. People can change the resolution of text in their browsers, so letting that happen naturally is a usually good idea.
    This isn't meant as an insult, but I'm hoping it will help.

And, again, good info.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum