Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MD5 Encryption Question

Thanks

Default MD5 Encryption Question

I am using the md5 method of encrypting my passwords stored in my users database and it works fine and all, but I found an issue while trying to make an edit function for the passwords. Since the password is entered into the database as an md5 hash, when I echo it for editing, it show the hash. Is there any way to reverse the encryption to display the password as what it is?

Thanks

Basically md5() is not reverible, the standard practice is to issue a new replacement password, rather than attempting to edit it! The user can edit the password by changing it!

More Info...
    http://archives.devshed.com/forums/p...5t-101197.html

Thanks

With md5, there is no decryption that is avalible. That is what makes md5 encryption so secure. At least what I am aware of. TYou could make two columns in the user table that has the md5 hash of the password as well as the plain text password, or you could use your own ecryption (not recommended).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry apollo, posted at the same time I guess.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to figure another way of doing this.

Thanks

Well, the way I made some of my "somewhat secure" programs was by making the user type in the old password (as well as the new passwords and a confirmation of the new password) and compare against my database, if the username/password (md5 for the password) combination was correct, as well as the new password and confirm password were matching, I would update the mysql database.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: This is in the change password part of the "program", if not understood from first reading the entire post.
    Last edited by thetestingsite; 01-14-2007 at 04:48 AM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetestingsite View Post
    Well, the way I made some of my "somewhat secure" programs was by making the user type in the old password (as well as the new passwords and a confirmation of the new password) and compare against my database, if the username/password (md5 for the password) combination was correct, as well as the new password and confirm password were matching, I would update the mysql database.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: This is in the change password part of the "program", if not understood from first reading the entire post.
    Thanks, thats basically all I really need to do

Thanks
    Blog Entries

You could make two columns in the user table that has the md5 hash of the password as well as the plain text password
    ... thus completely defeating the point of having the passwords hashed in the first place?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

there's also the Prospect Of Adding another value to increase the security, like generating a hash value with the combined username and password.

So... Its twice As impossible To decrypt....
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boxxertrumps View Post
    there's also the Prospect Of Adding another value to increase the security, like generating a hash value with the combined username and password.

So... Its twice As impossible To decrypt....
    Yeah, I heard about that, but haven't tried it yet because for what I am doing, its kinda overkill

Thanks

Yeah, that'd be overkill.
    Go with thetestingsite's idea
    Thou com'st in such a questionable shape
    Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 4