Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AJAX Includes script - £ sign?

Thanks

Question AJAX Includes script - £ sign?

Hi Great Site.

I have a simple question hopefully there's a simple answer...

I have used the AJAX Includes script (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...axincludes.htm)

To link several reports into one large report ... this work great, except that everything is copied through, except £ signs, dollar signs work fine however the £ sign simply does not appear in the full report, and as you can imagine this is quite critical at times.

Is there a way I can get round this?

Thanks in advance

Richard.

Thanks

Is the £ just part of text? The issue is, perhaps, that you could use the html ascii code (or entity) for the symbol, not the character itself. http://lookuptables.com should help.

Use &#num; to display in the html.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, but this should be a workaround.

Logically, something about the character, considering it is in an extended character set, is just not liked somewhere in the process.

Dollar signs should work... they're very normal characters. The £ symbol isn't. To play with this, you could test other symbols as well, such as accented characters, and upsidedown question marks and exclamation points, etc etc. (And greek letters are always fun...)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Thanks for that idea, unfortunatly didn't work. I just get the &#num in the final text,

Just to clarify the £ is included in the text from the original html file.

For Example.....

"Applications reduce to just under £157m (10,678 cases)"

in the original file is displayed as ...

"Applications reduce to just under 157m (10,678 cases)."

in the combined document, which is rather frustrating!.

Are there any similar scripts which do the same task but do display the £ sign?

Cheers

Richard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1968 View Post
    I just get the &#num in the final text,
    Did you type in just like that, or did you look at the table and put the correct number for your symbol? (For example: did you type it in "&#num" or "& # 163;"?)

Edit: Do not put the spaces between them like I did above. I had to do it like that on here or else it would actually display the character.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989
    TheUnlimitedHost | The Testing Site | Southern Utah Web Hosting and Design

Thanks
    Blog Entries

This is one solution, but should not be necessary. So long as both pages are UTF-8 encoded, and the server specifies this, there should be no issue.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Yes, &#num; is invalid. &#XX;.... use the number of the character to be displayed, as thetestingsite said.

Twey, does that work in all browsers? It is an extended/unusual character, so not sure if that's the case... But you're saying so, so it likely is.
    Last edited by djr33; 01-10-2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Correction/typo
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It is an extended/unusual browser, so not sure if that's the case...
    What is? If you mean "encoding" rather than "browser," then yes, all modern browsers ought to support UTF-8.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

I don't know why I typed browser. Sorry for the typo. (Fixing above.)

I meant extended/unusual character.

Thanks

Thanks for all the assistance

Yes I type in "&#num" with no spaces however this was not read the same as the £ sign itself.

I will continue to investigate and let you know if I find an answer.

Not being an experienced web author I'm not really sure what "UTF-8 encoded" means? ... How would I know if the pages were UTF-* encoded?

Once again many thanks

Richard.

Thanks

Thankyou all.

After spending a little more time the "&#163" idea worked a treat.

Thanks for you help