Advanced Search

Thread: help regarding hiding links

Thanks

Default help regarding hiding links

hey i want some help..here is detailed description

i have site on downloading films,songs etc for my members..

so i provide them links to download it..now i want the members to reply to my post..for it i want to hide the links given so that they reply to my post with thanks and hence they get to see the link
    eg: i have posted some link abc.rapidshare.3242.com
    then i dont want aneone to be able to see the link..it should be hidden...and it should become visible to those members who reply back to the post....

i hope u got what i wanted to say...plz provide me with such script...

i just need this to make my site work efficiently....

thankssss
    waiting for response

Thanks

What's the user setup?
    Is this a forum?

Basically, you need to integrate with the database. Hopefully it's mysql and php 'cause they're easy to help with because a lot of people know them here.

http://php-mysql-tutorial.com is a good resource too

There is no hiding. Just use PHP and only output the link if you want it to be shown. Using javascript or another method, the link would be available through the source code.

With PHP, just check the database to see if the logged in user has a reply to the thread. If yes, display the link. If not, don't.

However, the displaying of the link is kinda weird. You could really have a lot of work to integrate it into the forum, considering how posts are usually stored. There could be ways to make it easier though.

More details are needed.
    Last edited by djr33; 01-10-2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

well..its a forum site...

i have made it on ..ipb 1.3 script

and i have got the facility of html coding to change anything in the forum....

i am not sure whether php will be allowed in it or not as its a free forum site...

Thanks

hey i checked entire html coding...there is no facility of php...

in my forum..all tags like bold,italics,underline are coming...then isnt it possible to put hide tag also....which functions as i want...by help of html coding...

Thanks

You could hide it, remove it, make it purple... whatever. But if you don't have access to PHP, then you can't use an IF statement to see if the person is logged in or not.

You would need access to the database and their session/cookie info to tell if they have posted are logged in... whatever.

The other suggestion here is to use some creative way of manipulating the ACP for the site to allow something LIKE this, such as, since I use IPB as well, creating a 'promote' rule (under user groups and then in each group, I believe), then creating a forum which can only be viewed by members of the promoted group.

I'm sorry there is not much more to suggest.

It could be theoretically possible to do something along the lines of this using javascript (if you could somehow append a function to the function posting each reply, but to check if it is actually saved and such would be a pain). This would be insanely complex, and I'm not even going to consider suggesting anything that could sound realistic here. For one, anything with javascript is IN the source, so it's easy to find it anyway if someone wants to. It would be a very complex, very long process, involving mostly what i'd worry about, the manipulation of the javascript files, which, likely, you don't even have access to from the ACP from which you must be editing the html, etc. if you do not have access to the server.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

oh sorry..i didnt check correctly...php is available...but i dont know how to use....