Advanced Search

Thread: Disable Drag on macs

Thanks

Unhappy Disable Drag on macs

I am creating a photography website, and I have the code to disable the right click to prevent window based users from stealing my images, but the code doesnt not work for MACS, you can still just click and drag...

someone please help me with this!! is there a code that will disable the drag on macs as well?? I used to have one years ago on my old site.. and i thought i got it off of dd, but i cant seem to find it again..

any help would be great!!

Thanks a bunch!

Linds

Thanks

That's what's great about macs. Silly no right click scripts do nothing. In fact, most of them don't even work in Safari so no point in bothering to stop the drag n drop.

You can't protect your content this way.

There are always ways around the scripts or any protection, such as:

1. view source
    2. find it in the cache
    3. disable javascript then right click
    4. print screen, if needed
    5. use a browser/system that the script doesn't affect

Really, there's no point in bothering with protection like this.

There was a recent thread about no right click... check that.
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16301

In short, you can only stop stupid users, so, in the end, since it's not secure anyway, no point in bothering to make it Safari compatible, since so few people use it.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 3,096 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cut the cable to the mouse. I hear it only has one button anyway.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Hehe. Perhaps that's why you can drag. It's a fallback for the people who don't buy a 3rd party mouse.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Why does it have only one button anyway?
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks

Macintosh invented the mouse. Clearly, no need for two buttons at its original conception. Just move and click. The mouse soon, though, got a second button for the right click, as, I suspect, probably a marketing campaign for whoever invented it. The idea is that "this is better than the mac"... though they copied it in the first place. As such, Macs didn't support right click for a Loooong time. Hitting the ctrl key (similar to the alt key on windows, kinda) in combination with the mouse button, at least in OS8 and OS9, allowed for a similar right click menu. Now, OSX fully supports right clicking (and, oddly enough, still the control+click method), but still, stupidly, ships with a one button mouse. It now has a scroll wheel too. But just one button. So idiotic. And, just as a note, then mice, within the last few years, started having scroll wheels, tertiary buttons (more extra buttons; secondary... tertiary), etc. They may have existed for a while, but I certainly remember when they were expensive/new/not common.

EDIT: Hmmm... that's the longest post I've typed in quite a while without a line break.

Thanks

Well, I rather be paying $50AU for a Logitech mouse rather than putting a hole in my wallet for a $100AU Apple Mighty Mouse.

And the one-button mouse might be a "unique" Apple design.
    Peter - alotofstuffhere[dot]com - Email Me - Donate via PayPal - Got spare hardware? Donate 'em to me :) Just send me a PM.
    Currently: enjoying the early holidays :)
    Read before posting: FAQ | What you CAN'T do with JavaScript | Form Rules | Thread Title Naming Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 3,132 Times in 3,096 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you don't light the Mac to begin with, like a cigarette, you won't be able to drag on it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate