Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC

Thanks

Perhaps. But it's not "MORE" expensive. That's the important piece. It IS expensive, but so is a top of the line PC. With the exception of the (I think failed/unpopular) 'mac-mini', almost all apple products are designed to be top of the line (or close, anyway).
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

So... how does the ability to run Windows make Mac better...? Can't you just buy a Windows computer for that? That IS what they're made for, you know. Plus, Mac Boot Camp is slow and glitchy, like a game emulator. Mostly because it has bits and pieces of the hard drive to search for to find the Windows-formatted segments, and that can lead to segmented system files. Unless, of course, you did a disk defrag before installing Windows, but even then, it still sucks. Just because. It's Mac. It may look pretty with it's 'system-level video driver' and all, but beauty is only skin-deep, as much of the core progrmming of the operating system is slow and poor at multitasking, at sharp contrast to the Linux-based Windows32 system. (Yes, it's Linux based. Cheap Microsoft *******s...) But I digress. Why get a Mac to run Windows? Simple answer: WHO CARES WHY? JUST DON'T!

And thank you Blizzard, for summing up in advance exactly what I was about to do.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

much of the core progrmming of the operating system is slow and poor at multitasking, at sharp contrast to the Linux-based Windows32 system. (Yes, it's Linux based. Cheap Microsoft *******s...)
    Er... you've got it the wrong way around. Mac OS X is far more closely connected to Linux: it's built on top of BSD, which is a variant/clone of UNIX, as is Linux. Windows, however, has virtually nothing in common with Linux, or UNIX in general, apart from a brief affair with POSIX compatibility (one of the lowest levels of it, too, from what I recall).
    Why get a Mac to run Windows? Simple answer: WHO CARES WHY? JUST DON'T!
    If one were to, say, use Windows once every fortnight or so in order to test scripts in IE, it would be rather a waste to buy a whole new machine, no?
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks

Windows, like it or not, is popular, so there is a big advantage in having it for the use of some applications, especially for freeware/shareware that only exists for windows. There are other similar things like this, too.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Ninja View Post
    So... how does the ability to run Windows make Mac better...? Can't you just buy a Windows computer for that?
    Macs are rather nice for compatibility. You don't need to set the correct jumpers on each piece of hardware to make it work, saving time. They are nice for graphics and processing. Now in my mind, if you like pcs and macs, why wouldn't you want a computer that could run both. You could have two hard drives, one for each os. Why wouldn't you want a machine that looks pretty, runs smoothly, can use both os? And does anything think that Microsoft will merge with mac to have good messages? Wait, I mean a massive company? JF

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I really think we need to end this thread/debate.. we are making Twey use words like "fortnight" now, it is only going to get worse.

With all the advancements and new technologies in software vs. hardware, it is a simple thing...

Programmers will get both, or find a way to use one as the other. General users will buy the one they are most comfortable with, or know. This will leave out Linux, as everyone is still scared it is all text and command lines.

For Apple/Mac vs. PC people will either buy a newer version of the one they are replacing, or buy one with the better commercials.

People don't want to be bothered with the size of their RAM or HD or know which processor is installed. If you ask 80% of the internet browsing population I dare say less than half could tell you the specs of their computer without right-clicking on "my computer" and selecting "properties" (or insert MAC equivalent here).

My grandmother knows hers has an Intel chip inside because of the "pretty little sticker on the black box thingy with the green lights that her typewriter and tiny television plug into"

But I can guarantee if she ever needs to buy a new one it will be as similar to the current one as possible.
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    Macs are rather nice for compatibility. You don't need to set the correct jumpers
    Jumpers, that's a blast from the past! I'd (thankfully) forgotten all about jumpers. Get a decent laptop and you won't have to worry about those, regardless of the OS.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Blizzard has a real point about familiarity.... I'd be tough to convince to start editing video on a PC since I'm used to a mac, and it would also be hard to convince me to give up my PC for other things (such as web design).

If you grow up on Pepsi, you likely won't drink Coke later. The reverse is true. This is why corporations spend billions of dollars to target the teen generation, when individuals are old enough to make their own decisions and still young enough to be impressionable and have a long, healthy (or perhaps not quite so healthy) coke-or-pepsi-drinking future.

To continue the metaphor, which is better, coke or pepsi? Opinion... simple as that. In the end, both will rot your teeth just as fast, or quench your thirst, or whatever intended 'purpose' they may have.
    In the same sense, both mac and windows, plus linux, function as computers that allow a variety of tasks. Though with either (any) will allow for almost every task (assuming you aren't specifically doing something dependant on the operating system, such as designing a windows compatible something from a mac), but each does have advantages, such as graphics and overall 'smoothness' on a mac, and various things beforementioned on the PC (such as, especially with linux, controllability/customizability, something that is somewhat lacking in macs).

With a user who knows what they are doing on either, it's easy enough to do most, if not all, tasks. It's all about preference. The question is more "Which do you prefer, Mac or PC?", not "Which is better, Mac or PC?", certainly not "Mac vs. PC".

They are both different and similar, so it's not quite like comparing apples and oranges, but more like oranges and tangerines. They're similar, but each has advantages and disadvantages. (Actually, I could continue that metaphor for quite a while, considering that oranges are regular and inexpensive (PCs), whereas tangerines are more rare but arguably better, or certainly toward a certain taste that fewer people share.)

As time goes by, as shown obviously by the intel change of macs, so the operating systems are now compatible, they merge to a point of being the same.

DOX and Mac OS1 surely were very different (though I have no experience in either, except just a bit of pseudo-dos within windows), but they have merged now to where they're both very similar.

However, I will note that macs have, for the most part, started the trends, such as mice, desktops, trash (aka recycle bin), etc. etc. However, Windows has (later) contributed to these, such as with the TWO! button mouse. Hehe.

Hmm... what's a jumper? Why is a jumper related to laptops, specifically, or is it?

As for compatibility, it's not much of an issue now. Some formats, like .rar, are a bit harder to deal with on a mac due to not having as many freeware/shareware resources available, though it's still possible. Other popular formats like .wmv and .avi also have trouble, but there are (slightly limited) workarounds. The only files that really aren't compatible on Macs are .exe's, though I wonder if that has or will change soon with OSX 10.4 (built for intel and such). (I don't know, as I'm am still running 10.3.)
    One thing that is an issue is file extensions, which windows still requires, with the exception of a few programs that are able to ingore them (I think I remember this.... but I can't think of which at the moment. I think it was mostly with image files, so perhaps just things that are easily recognized), whereas Macs just ignore them, so sometimes you end up with a file just named 'filename', not 'filename.ext'. So the conversion from mac to pc is to add that extension, which is a bit tedious and only hard if you happen to not know the file extension required. Though, note that the transition from pc to mac is never an issue in that sense.
    In the past there was an issue with compatiblity in several areas, but that no longer exists.
    I suppose one slight downside is that the color-schemes and gamma of the displays (or rather output of the computers) varies from mac to pc, so this causes some trouble for graphics. The most notable for this forum would be 'web colors' which I believe are about 212 colors, not 256, as those are the ones for which mac and pc color-schemes overlap. Another example of this is shown in video, especially related to the gamma, not so much colors, and how it translates to a PC from a Mac or vice versa with images/video. I find that to be particularly important due to my field of video editing. When I make a video on my mac and I watch it on a PC, the results can be hard to see because mac gamma makes things brighter (it's based on a curve, so it's not just linear... very complex, so not gonna get into it right now), but this can be corrected, though it is an exta step. To add to the complications, NTSC (the format used by TVs, encoded on DVDs, etc., at least in the US and other countries, as opposed to PAL, used in other locations, which aren't compatible, in framerate, dimension and color-scheme) varies, so a TV, PC and Mac will all display the same video differently. The easiest way to demonstrate this would be to play a DVD on a PC, a Mac and a TV and watch.

(or insert MAC equivalent here).
    Apple menu>About this Mac, then click 'More info...'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    I'm pretty sure most people get Macs just because they fit in with the decor of a given room
    Who Has White Walls?

To Summaries this thread:

Windows = Monolithic(All Parts of your OS Hive are codependant, and integrated into the kernal, if process A fails, process' C and D also fail, also working with security holes.), takes alot of time to fix bugs. Yay For bells and Whistles though.

Mac = Expensive, bad for the Enviroment(Heavy metals, improper disposal), and their Ads directly bash Desktops, impossible to upgrade except for RAM, Only one mouse button, Almost No Games...

Linux = Modularized kernel, Difficult to use at first, open source, Fast Bug Fixes, They Have a little Penguin as their mascot...
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

WHOA!
    That's not a fair summary at all.
    Those things are true to an extent about Macs, but that makes them sound terrible.

To summarize, you need to be objective and use the previously stated facts. Many of the things stated above have not been mentioned before (in relation to linux and windows, not so much Mac).
    Last edited by djr33; 01-09-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling