Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't know what ads ran recently in other locales but in most of the US market we had a run up to the holidays of these Mac and PC ads for Apple where each machine is personified, Mac by this hip kid in jeans and PC by this older Bill Gates (if he gained some weight) looking type fellow in a suit.
    The question is, which would you trust with your data?

Echoes (and parodies) of these adverts have spread wide, across national boundaries.
    I have yet to get my first Mac and would probably do so mostly for niche testing of scripts, if I get around to it.
    That and to show off. I'm pretty sure most people get Macs just because they fit in with the decor of a given room It's a kind of "look at me, I'm rich enough to pay 5× the price of a normal computer just so it'll match my walls" kind of culture.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twey View Post
    . . . to show off. I'm pretty sure most people get Macs just because they fit in with the decor of a given room It's a kind of "look at me, I'm rich enough to pay 5× the price . . .
    Times must be tough across the pond. Here it is more like 1.5 times the price. That and the fact that Mac's usually manage to come with the latest hardware (example recently: bluetooth) add-ons sooner than a PC does, is why I am even considering it. I've been of the mind that the extra cost represents those extra add-ons and perhaps other minor hardware superiorities and the cost of the scale of production. Though this thing about the one button heavy metal mouse has me a bit worried.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here it is more like 1.5 times the price.
    Here it's possible to get a cheap (pre-built) PC for around £200, not including monitor (between £50 and £200). The only Macs I've seen have ranged between £1,000 and £2,000, although I admittedly haven't looked too hard.
    That and the fact that Mac's usually manage to come with the latest hardware (example recently: bluetooth) add-ons sooner than a PC does, is why I am even considering it.
    It's usually possible to get the addons and attach them at home.
    I've been of the mind that the extra cost represents those extra add-ons and perhaps other minor hardware superiorities and the cost of the scale of production.
    Almost certainly.
    Though this thing about the one button heavy metal mouse has me a bit worried.
    I think I'd be afraid someone would use it as a murder weapon...
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Here it's possible to get a cheap (pre-built) PC for around £200, not including monitor (between £50 and £200). The only Macs I've seen have ranged between £1,000 and £2,000, although I admittedly haven't looked too hard.It's usually possible to get the addons and attach them at home.
    That makes perfect sense when I think about it, the price variance. It actually is about the same here then but, this doesn't apply to relatively equivalent systems. I guess I am, unintentionally, a bit of a show off myself. I will no longer even consider buying a computer that I cannot easily pick up and carry around with me so, I was only looking at laptops/notebooks (basically the same thing anymore). I also require one with decent storage space, a good monitor, a keyboard that is as much like a desktop's as possible, a decent allotment of RAM, and one of the faster CPU chips available. Once you establish these as your criteria, similar Macs are not that much more in price.

I know about adding on but, it is easier to get one that comes with. The easiest way to upgrade a desktop is generally to throw in a card, this is true with laptops as well but there are only one or two slots so, it is better to get whatever you want/need included. Also, on a laptop the card sticks out a little and becomes a hazard to itself during transport if not removed and replaced each time.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

They cant because they can there a micrsoft company

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Once you establish these as your criteria, similar Macs are not that much more in price.
    Of course not. The point I was making was that a lot of people get them without knowing the advantages, just because they look cool and the person in question can afford them.
    The easiest way to upgrade a desktop is generally to throw in a card, this is true with laptops as well but there are only one or two slots so, it is better to get whatever you want/need included.
    Ah, yes. Mine was a moot point with laptops, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi555
    ... what?

Thanks

Guys, the price argument is stupid. for the price of a mac, you could get an equivalent PC. You CAN get CHEAPER PCs, but they aren't as good. When it comes to something like video editing, the price of a 'low end' mac is fine, since that's a 'high end' PC-equivalent.

I have no intent to claim to be cool because I use a mac, but I use it because it is very stable for what I do, video editing, and it works great. Better than any PCs I've tried.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Originally Posted by yoshi555
    what?
    I think he was referring to the original post in this thread and positing that Apple is already a Microsoft company. I still think (going back to post #1) that they would probably give really good massages.
    - John

Thanks

Ha.

But Mac massages would be more expensive, though higher quality
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Guys, the price argument is stupid. for the price of a mac, you could get an equivalent PC. You CAN get CHEAPER PCs, but they aren't as good. When it comes to something like video editing, the price of a 'low end' mac is fine, since that's a 'high end' PC-equivalent.
    I know this. I was commenting that some people don't understand this, and get it just because it looks good (or, indeed, because it's more expensive).