Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac vs PC

Thanks

I Have to point out My preference for Linux, even If i cant Get The Damn BIOS set up right...

But Im Never going To By An Apple Product, solely based On Their commercials.

The Ipod commercial; there Are people Inside Of People. thats Just Twisted.
    But then the Mac Computer Is Boasting About how Its Better Than PCs.
    It Not. It's OS Better than Windows. Not As much Of A Piece of junk. But if you put in the same OS, then a PC will always run faster. it can be upgraded, whereas a Mac is going to stay the same forever. also, macs usually contain heavy metals which are dangerous to dispose of.

so... Linux OS > OSX > Windows.
    but my best friend Link is being retarded about me saying that windows is a cluster**** of idiocy wrapped in binary. He Agrees with me on the apple stuff though.
    - Ryan "Boxxertrumps" Trumpa
    Come back once it validates: HTML, CSS, JS.

Thanks

Listen, boxxertrumps. Do Me A Favor And Stop Typing Like This
    - Mike

Thanks

But if you put in the same OS, then a PC will always run faster. it can be upgraded, whereas a Mac is going to stay the same forever. also, macs usually contain heavy metals which are dangerous to dispose of.
    Mostly wrong.

1. saying you can switch the OS is stupid. They are different. The reason you buy the mac is for the OS and the computer, not just one part. so... it's not worth comparing, though I doubt there's any proof even if you did/could. Now with the intel thing, it's possible to switch; that's true... so.... maybe it's different now. But I still say Prove that a PC runs faster. Plus... linux? windows? unix? (OSX is based in unix). Note that the first 'PC' was the personal computer introduced by APPLE.

2. 'PC will always run faster'... uh? for the price? same stats? what? That's illogical. Same parts would run at the same speed.

3. Macs can be upgraded. I got extra ram, I have a new internal harddrive (as well as an external one), was considering whether to add a new card to the computer with a 'eSATA' port (theoretically 5x faster than firewire) but decided against it, and that's just me. Lots you can do. It is true-- there is LESS available to upgrade with, but it's quite possible.

4. the heavy metals thing is interesting, but I haven't heard that. If true, which I'm not saying it isn't, then I doubt that no PC manufacturing company has not/is not doing the same.

And... commercials? You just don't like them? ...?
    So if you like a commerical you go out and buy the product?
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've never like heavy metal. Acid rock was about as far as I would go and I haven't been into that in many, many years.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Heheh
    Plus... linux? windows? unix? (OSX is based in unix).
    Not really. The kernel is a BSD kernel, and I believe OSX uses some UNIX-like utilities, but the operating system Apple have built on top of the basics is very different.
    But if you put in the same OS, then a PC will always run faster.
    Unlikely -- you're completely failing to take in the hardware differences. As djr33 said, Macs start considerably higher in terms of hardware.
    it can be upgraded, whereas a Mac is going to stay the same forever.
    There is a certain monolithic approach to building a computer that Apple are quite fond of, but it's going much too far to say that a Mac will "stay the same forever."
    also, macs usually contain heavy metals which are dangerous to dispose of.
    The substances used to build any computer tend to be difficult to destroy safely. I don't think the weight of the metal used is the primary factor, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/Personal_computer
    A programmable terminal called the Datapoint 2200 is the earliest known device that bears any significant resemblance to the modern personal computer.
    I sense that this discussion is starting to get heated. Please remain calm, and be assured that the wings of this aeroplane are not on fire.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djr33
    So if you like a commerical you go out and buy the product?
    Isn't that the whole point of commercials?
    {CWoT - Riddle } {Freelance Copywriter} {Learn to Write}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @InkingHubris
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Exactly. But, generally, I look beyond the commercials to what matters.

Remember this argument is 'which computer is better', not which computer has better commercials

I agree with Twey here.

And, in the end, it's all about preference. Really... they all do the same thing.

I love macs because they never get viruses... not that they're immune, but no one bothers to write them. Odds are just against it.

And I like how they work. So... for me, I like editing on a mac.

But I'd always want a PC to do internet/gaming/programming type things.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| espa˝ol | Deutsch | italiano | portuguŕs | catalÓ | un peu de franšais | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Exactly. But, generally, I look beyond the commercials to what matters.
    Psst. I think he was joking.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends franšais | entiendo espa˝ol | t˘i Ýt hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,449 Times in 3,410 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know what ads ran recently in other locales but in most of the US market we had a run up to the holidays of these Mac and PC ads for Apple where each machine is personified, Mac by this hip kid in jeans and PC by this older Bill Gates (if he gained some weight) looking type fellow in a suit. I always ended up feeling sorry for old PC though and will probably buy one of his machines again. I have yet to get my first Mac and would probably do so mostly for niche testing of scripts, if I get around to it.
    - John

Show Additional Thanks: International Rescue Committee - Donate or: The Ocean Conservancy - Donate or: PayPal - Donate

Thanks

Psst. I think he was joking.
    Right. But I wasn't