Quote Originally Posted by jscheuer1 View Post
    You people are so easily amused.

LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by BLiZZaRD View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA We made John use chat speak! "LOL"

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Wow. You just proved his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    The new macs are better, still work well together with hardware, and is compatible with windows. Does anyone think that Microsoft will buy Mac, merge into one massage company, and the age of Mac vs PC be over? Tell me what you think about it. JF
    Actually, Microsoft already owns majority stock.

By the way, for the lulz, is your name John Freeman, by any chance?

(If you don't realize the impact of that, go to Youtube and search "Half-Life Full Life Consequences")
    Last edited by djr33; 05-19-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Regarding the price- PC hardware is cheaper. If you'd like I can post specs of similar systems. Now this may be a more advanced user deal- I build all my own computers, but I have found barebone systems that only need a harddrive for a very affordable price.

Keep in mind I have never bought a fully manufactured PC in my life, so I am not current with Dell, HP, Compaq, Gateway, ect.

But if you compare each piece of hardware in both systems, It will be the same price or cheaper for a PC.
    This doesn't make PC's better- I would say the majority of the market does not want to build their own computer. They want to take it out of the box, plug it in, and go.

I think it comes down to an OS debate on Mac and PC. Mac brags about running windows, but isn't that the debate? Why run windows on a more expensive setup?

I have used Vista, and I don't like it. I have used OSX and I don't like it. However I'd rather learn MacOS than Vista when XP is out of commission.

I don't think there is any solution to which is better, I think its what you are used to and what you can adapt to.
    I like the affordability and control you get with a PC. However the lines between Mac and PC are starting to cross each other.
    It used to be that you couldn't change your hardware setup on a Mac. Now you have some control of the components. I see them being more and more related in the future.

Thanks

You cant say which is the best, because each system has their own advantages. For examples mAcs are better with graphics while PC's are better for office stuff like, word processing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Fitton View Post
    You cant say which is the best, because each system has their own advantages. For examples mAcs are better with graphics while PC's are better for office stuff like, word processing.

but now there is office for mac
    [Jasme Library (Javascript Motion Effects)] My Site
    /\/\@§†ê® §©®¡þ† /\/\@|{ê®
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks

Ryan is correct.
    Mac: graphics
    PC: video games, certain web things, programming, and it's a bit easier to use word processing and such

However, anyone who knows what they're doing can use either. I'm fluent in both and it's really the same thing to me. Just a couple different buttons. Macs are expensive and look prettier, though. (And they ARE better for graphics, which is why I use one.)
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks

I disagree with any "PCs are better for _____" or "Macs are better for _____" unless there is software compatibility issue. PC's may be slightly better for gaming although most big games are available on both Macs and PC's.

People have ALWAYS said macs are better for graphics.

What exactly do people mean by this? Is there a piece of software Mac offers that is superior? Or is it the "Macs are able to handle graphic processing better".

If its the first, Its because I'm not a Mac user that I'm completely ignorant about its existence.

If its the second, then I think that argument is flawed- my $740 PC (Intel Duo core 3.5Ghz, 8800GT w/ 1GB, 4GB DDR800 memory) handles graphic processing beautifully. In fact, photoshop and 3DSM fail to slow down with Age of Conan (HUGE hog, uses a gig and a half of my memory) and Guitar Rig 2 (another hog) running. All on a nice 19" display.

Anyways enough rants, I think that it all depends on what you like and what you need. PC's are far cheaper, but the mac environment is desirable for a lot of people.

Thanks

PC's may be slightly better for gaming although most big games are available on both Macs and PC's.
    Not really.
    1. Macs are not gaming computers.
    2. They are not generally upgraded with better graphics cards for that sort of thing, etc.
    3. Many, many games are not made for both systems. The vast majority are PC only.
    Macs are capable, but not the target audience, so they are not the ideal system if you're a gamer.

People have ALWAYS said macs are better for graphics. [Why?]
    1. They simply are.
    2. They are designed for this. They were the first computers to integrate standard firewire for importing video, for example.
    3. Lots of pros in the industry use them-- they continue to be used and get software and support.
    For example, Adobe pulled some of their products off the macs, because final cut pro was replacing the market for premiere, but now they have reintroduced it because it's an important market for them.
    4. The system is designed at a base level to support graphics now, so this is especially true with OSX more than previous versions.

Yeah, you're talking about some basic 2D manipulations in photoshop. I do high end video editing, so I may be running a 3D program (or two), After Effects, Final Cut Pro, a browser or two, and, sure photoshop-- and let's toss in a 500 frame film strip, or a 5,000x3,000px image.

As I've said repeatedly in this thread, it's the user, not the system, and I'm quite content using my old copy of Paint Shop Pro 5 on an old windows 2000 computer-- I'm good at it, and it doesn't slow me down much from what I do with Photoshop on OSX. But that is NOT when I'm doing the hardest, most intense work. Simple as that.

I don't really care what I use, though I just personally prefer the feel of a mac. I'm on a PC in a computer lab at school, and certainly having no problem with it. Once you're fluent in one, the other isn't far away (after you get over some important by easy to understand differences).

And there's no better arguments for Macs than that regardless of virus security, there simply are very few attempts to mess with them, so running a PC is by its very nature being a target, whereas running a mac is standing away from the battlefield. Certainly you can get hit, if someone cares enough to write a virus, but the truth is that no one really does. If everyone switches to macs and enough users who don't know how to stop viruses do use macs, that is bound to change-- but for now the demographic is PC>Windows>Internet Explorer.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Overall, if you are a programmer, PCs are HIGHLY SUGGESTED.

-magicyte

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Oh, by the way. djr33, what do the languages in your signature say?

-magicyte

Thanks

<?php?> | <html>|
    Estudio español. | I study Spanish.
    Imparo l'italiano. | I learn Italian.
    Deutsch lerne ich. | I'm learning German.
    accipio latinum | I take Latin.
    J'étudie un peu de français. | I study a bit of French.
    ادرس العربية | I study Arabic.

As for being a programmer, yeah, use a PC. You can get a lot done on a mac, but it's just not meant for that, and PCs are. Plus, lots of programs aren't available, regardless of open source, etc., stuff.
    Last edited by djr33; 07-08-2008 at 02:22 AM.