Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should window vista be given a chance

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Even a good 'nix admin might not be all that familiar with security on a Windows server if required by an employer to set one up.
    Yes: a desktop or server based on the same operating system, obviously. My apologies.
    If the OS is lacking in security features though, someone who knows the problems and is willing to investigate third party solutions will be able to set up a secure server with it.
    To an extent. This is certainly possible with open-source operating systems where everything is customisable past the limits of sanity, and if there's an insecurity with the kernel it's simple enough to just install another. However, with Windows this isn't so: a problem in the kernel can only be fixed by upgrading to another operating system or another version of Windows, which would cost money.
    Conversely, if a server software is selected only for its familiar appearance, the result isn't likely to be very secure.
    Yes; this very approach is flawed, since flaunting the GUI as a benefit to a server operating system encourages admins to access the server locally, probably logged in as an administrator, which is a fairly nasty breach of security protocols, which encourage headless usage with a non-privileged account wherever possible. See the article to which I linked above for further details.
    Twey | I understand English | 日本語が分かります | mi jimpe fi le jbobau | mi esperanton komprenas | je comprends français | entiendo español | tôi ít hiểu tiếng Việt | ich verstehe ein bisschen Deutsch | beware XHTML | common coding mistakes | tutorials | various stuff | argh PHP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Isn't it true that Windows is even trying to remove the Admin functions from most user panels and make everything run off of a proprietorship type account, where the users set permissions?

Thought I heard that somewhere.. on their way to the "Most secure OS ever!"
    {CWoT - Riddle } {OSTU - Psycho} {Invasion - Team}
    Follow Me on Twitter: @Negative_Chaos
    PHP Code:
    $result mysql_query("SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3");
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean about that. You mean there's a special account to set stuff and the regular users can't access it?

Seems stupid for a singler user computer, as probably 95% of them are, at least for PCs.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes, sort of off the key that *Nix does, with the root account or admin, but I hear that Win's is taking it a step further.

Kind of how XP now has that run as... option, except more dictatorshipness.
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

Odd. For so much of this... what's the point. And I don't care. Heh. Not worth the $200 upgrade.
    Daniel - Freelance Web Design | <?php?> | <html>| español | Deutsch | italiano | português | català | un peu de français | some knowledge of several other languages: I can sometimes help translate here on DD | Linguistics Forum

Thanks
    Blog Entries

My thoughts on that exactly.. WHY?
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

I think microsoft is missing the point. They update windows... and windows is icky. Maybe if they just started from scratch......

INTRODUCING!!! Mircosoft Doors (R)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA... Are you suggesting that they use a heavy dose of Windex?
    PHP Code:
    echo 
    $result

Thanks

That's an amazing name for a program, though based on a copyrighted term. If you wrote a program that fixed bugs called windex... that would be awesome.